Author Topic: 250gig HD recognition problems  (Read 6054 times)

Offline Alaric

250gig HD recognition problems
« on: June 05, 2008, 12:37:19 pm »
Hi Guys,

Have a Kenwood keg, with a 1.1 usb drive and i've just upgraded my 10gig drive to a 250 one, the WD one mentioned on here - My problem seems to be that i can't seem to get the partition to be recognised as 250 - I was at 120ish and now upto 134ish.

I've tried under XP sp3, i've tried the WD tools, the hardware smart check reports 250, the datalifeguard tools give 134ish - It seems to be a hardware recognition thing.

Incidentaly the phathack drivers installed under vista and seem to recognise the drive with the 1.1 cradle, the safely remove hardware dialogue reports the drive correctly !!!

Any ideas ???

Ta,
      Lee

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Re: 250gig HD recognition problems
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 01:18:39 pm »
Did you use the Windows Hack Tools to format and partition the drive?  XP should see all (or most, actually) of the 250GB, if it has been formatted properly. 

I've got the same drive and XP SP3 sees all of it with no problem.  (However, I can also warn you in advance, the drive will NOT work with Phatnoise software, except maybe the old Music Manager software.  It only works with VorTechS' Phathack Media Manager.)
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 02:30:53 pm »
Incidentaly the phathack drivers installed under vista and seem to recognise the drive with the 1.1 cradle, the safely remove hardware dialogue reports the drive correctly !!!

There's a possibility this might be part of your problem.  The PhatHack drivers are a later version of the Cypress drivers [which PhatNoise used] and are no longer supported.  They were written years ago, and Vista would never have been a gleam in any MS programmers eye at the time so it's possible there may be problems under Vista.

Also, you shouldn't be creating a single partition on the drive...as Mark says use the DMS tools to do the partitioning and see if that works okay.  I'd expect to see a 64MB partition, and another partition taking up more space.  There's a possibility of space loss using the DMS tools v2.10 due to hidden sectors (which shouldn't be there) but alledgedly this doesn't account for a lot of space.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline Alaric

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 04:18:49 pm »
Hi There,

Windows only see's it as a 120 partition though.....I will try with the hack tools again and see what happens !

Ok. Got sys of 62meg and a data of 127 - Still looks short to me ???

Also it is completely blank even when ticking the kenwood firmware box !

Ta,
        Lee

Offline Alaric

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 04:22:39 pm »
Hi There,

Not blank any more, thought that ticking the firmware boxes would do the partition and copy in one, where as its a second operation - No biggy, just a might confusing.

Still feel short changed at 200meg for a 250 drive !

The vista thing was an experiment. I'd already tried it at home on an XP box and the above result is on a different XP box.

Ta,
      Lee

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 05:44:37 pm »
If I read correctly you're using a 1.1 cradle -- you need a 2.0 cradle for larger sizes, unless my memory fails me.