Author Topic: 160 GB Disks for the Phatbox.  (Read 5675 times)

Offline miller_l

160 GB Disks for the Phatbox.
« on: July 04, 2008, 01:54:44 am »
If some of this is redundant, excuse me, but I just finished a PhatHack and it went beautifully.  Congratulations on a great piece of reverse engineering and providing a professional software application.  I shall be donating a "C note" to the treasury to help defray expenses.

While the hack went well, this post has to do with the subject of disk drives for the DMS; a topic not well covered.

Whatever the size you choose, the interface MUST be ATA, or Ultra ATA100 (133) or PATA.  The disk I chose was a Hitachi Travelstar 2.5" 160GB disk; about $100 from Best Buy.  This disk works fine, and provides in excess of 147 GB of usable disk after partitioning.

One suggestion I would make to Vortechs's documentation is better detail on the disk monitoring and attachment to Windows.  To wit:

When the raw disk is put into the Phatnoise controller, the system will not see this disk, nor will the PhatHack utilities in the pull down; only if you call up the control panel and view the attachment and its state.  If it's OK, proceed onto the "New DMS" part of the hack.  Once this is done, the PhatHack utility will find the disk and you can proceed.

For me, this proceeded without trauma and now I have a larger disk for my PhatBox.

Great work guys!

Offline jerryfreak

Re: 160 GB Disks for the Phatbox.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 08:24:26 am »
[nevermind]
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 08:30:40 am by jerryfreak »