Author Topic: Cheap and simple Kenwood head unit that controls the music keg?  (Read 12334 times)

Offline robbyb413

• A few posts under my belt.
  • PhatHacker
I'm well versed with VW/Audi phatnoise compatibility, but not so hot with Kenwood gear. I just got a wrangler that needs a head unit, and wanted to get something basic and get a music keg to go with it. All the threads I see talk about flashy head units, but I have more simple requirements so that it doesn't attract attention and so that if it does get stolen I don't care, or so that if it gets wet and dies I just don't worry.

Here's what I want:

- in dash cd player
-am/fm tuner, no sat needed
- single din
- ability to control music keg WITH id3 tag displayed on screen
- extra aux input would be nice, but not a must

and I want it in a cheap affordable Kenwood headunit. Would anyone mind tossing me a suggestion or pointing me to a list? Thanks!

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Re: Cheap and simple Kenwood head unit that controls the music keg?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 07:44:21 pm »
Apparently, the 2008 Kenwoods will not control a Keg/Phatbox, so you need to get a 2007 (or earlier) head unit.

For controlling a PB, it does not get cheaper or simpler than the KDC-MP235.  It'll get the job done, and has a 3.5mm front aux input for idiot-proof connection of any MP3 player.  Probably costs around $100 new.

To get more out of your PB, though, go for something that will give you at least two lines of text.  That way, you will be able to see track title/artist on the first line and album title on the second line, for example.  (The PB doesn't give you true ID3 tag capability.)  The KDC-MP735U or KDC-X791 will give you that, plus rear USB and aux inputs, with the option of direct iPod control if you ever want to go that way.  I think you can find either one of those for around $150.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline robbyb413

• PhatHacker
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 08:15:00 pm »
Thanks for that input. I'm not looking to get much out of the player in the jeep.. it just has to play tunes and show something of the id3 tag on the screen. Are you saying that the first one you suggested won't show ANY id3 tag functionality or even what function I'm access on the player with this head unit? Those other head units seem to be too much for what I'm looking for.

I suppose if the price was right that's fine, I mean with my audi and vw it's all audibile so it wouldn't be the end of the world... would suck to be anyone else driving the jeep, but I'll live.

KNow of anything positioned between the former and latter of your suggestions?

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 11:37:03 pm »
The MP235 will show one line of text, so at least you'll get artist/title.  As I wrote, it'll do the job.

There are choices in between (MP535U, for example), but nothing that will give you more than one line of text.  Google those models to check prices, they could be much cheaper than I mentioned since they are discontinued.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline robbyb413

• PhatHacker
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 07:37:51 pm »
Cool. I'll probably go for one of the later after all, since they have a few more watts of power which would probably come in handy with the top off. Thanks for the help.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 02:31:13 pm »
If you can find one, try the one listed on my profile - it's a fantastic HU!
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline robbyb413

• PhatHacker
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 06:19:13 pm »
It certainly looks slick... I poked on eBay and crazedlist, couldn't find a single hit, but I can keep my eyes open. No rush right now. So many projects.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 06:28:55 am »
Have a look around the edges too... I'm seeing a few KDC-X series, and Excelon products (the 910 was an excelon product) lurking on the bay your side of the pond.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)