Author Topic: Two RED's for sale  (Read 6481 times)

Offline kd6icz

Two RED's for sale
« on: September 27, 2008, 04:48:45 pm »
I have two RED Phatboxes (v1.0) that I no longer use.  With the two unit I have a few items to go with them.

I have one Kenwood OEM cable.  Meaning the same cable supplied with the Kenwood Music Keg.

I also one (actually two but I may not be able to find the second one) Kenwood "test" cable.  These were hand made by Phatnoise as a short (1.5 ft) bench test cable that had a FEMALE 13 pin connector on one end and a snap PB connector (no thumbscrews) on the other.  I used these cables as a custom installation with my Kenwood system and the KCA-S210A.  I did not want to have the 18 ft cable between the HU and the dual changer switch, and then two more OEM cables at 18 ft each to the PB's.  So I ordered the short 2M cables from Kenwood and used these test cables to shorten the total length.

I have two 80GB DMS units.  These are ones that I upgraded myself and are NOT blessed.  Remember the RED Phatboxes did not require the special drives.

I have one USB 2.0 desktop cradle.

One Kenwood Music Manager disk and one original Phatnoise Music Manager disk.

I have (if I can find it) a Audi cable as well.

I don't know exactly what the value of these units are so I don't have a set price in mind.  I just hate to see them sit here and not get some use.  We all know these were the best music players that ever existed in the car, I just don't like any of the new Kenwoods that are available and am considering other brands.  Therefore, these will not be of use to me.

You can email me at kd6icz@hotmail.com if you are interested and we can work out a deal for some or all of this.  I do have a PayPal account in perfect standing.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: Two RED's for sale
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 07:23:16 pm »
FYI - you should be able to get those to work with Sony head units as well

Offline kd6icz

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 12:50:19 am »
I have used them with several head units.  Back in the day I was a tester for a few of the OEM interfaces.  I just liked the Kenwood units the best.

I did not go into those kind of details because I thought anyone on this board would be "in the know" so to speak.

Which is why I also did not mention the RS422 ports on these units.  At one point, I was controlling them with the Palm OS client that Vince made at Phatnoise.  It worked well and did make choosing playlist very quick and easy.

In my next installation I just want to keep it simple and cheap.  So that is why I don't want to install the PB's.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 10:25:25 am »
Do you have the software for the Serial/Palm interface still?  I'd really like a copy of that, since it's easy enough to add the serial port to the others... could work on some simple adapters then to get it to work with OEM stereos that aren't supported etc...

Offline kd6icz

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 01:10:16 pm »
I will see if I can find it. This was many years ago.  I controlled it with my Kyocera QCP-6035 smartphone...

Offline kd6icz

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 01:17:05 pm »
Guess what?  I have the original email from Vince with the attachments and instructions on how to activate the serial port.  This was from May 2003.  Drop me an email to the address above and I will forward the entire message to you.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 11:52:44 pm »
Email sent -- sometimes hotmail doesn't like email from my domain, so if you don't get it my email is sam@bingner.com

Thanks again...

Sam

Offline kd6icz

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 12:48:19 am »
I found you in the Junk folder.  I sent you the stuff.