Author Topic: VW radio display only 99 discs and 99 songs per disc  (Read 12852 times)

Offline vetboksman

VW radio display only 99 discs and 99 songs per disc
« on: October 07, 2008, 09:06:26 pm »
My radio in 05 Touareg display only 99 discs, as well as 99 songs per disc and it seems as if it only plays the first 99 discs and first 99 songs per disc.

Q1: Am I correct here?

Q2:  Is there perhaps a fix for this?

Thanks!

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
Re: VW radio display only 99 discs and 99 songs per disc
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 03:48:20 pm »
My radio in 05 Touareg display only 99 discs, as well as 99 songs per disc and it seems as if it only plays the first 99 discs and first 99 songs per disc.

Q1: Am I correct here?

Q2:  Is there perhaps a fix for this?

Since nobody else answered yet, perhaps this will be helpful...

In my BMW, the head unit can only display "track" numbers (which could be disc / artist / track /etc. depending on what mode the Phatbox is in) from 01 to 99. After 99 it displays blanks for 00, then continues with 01, which really means 101. I have over 2500 discs / playlists on that Phatbox and it works fine, once you get used to the display.

A friend's car has a Kenwood head unit and Phatbox that I installed for him. He enters the disc he wants via the digits on the remote control. His head unit won't accept an input > 999, so he can't directly select the last 1500 playlists (same DMS as my BMW) directly - he has to be in artist mode and select the appropriate artist number, then use "disc up" to get to the specific disc he wants.

Some Phatbox head unit firmware is selectable between 99-disc and larger numbers, and should be set to match the head unit's display capabilities.

Offline dsaffo1

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 04:27:05 pm »
I have an 03 passat w8 and installed a navigation radio I bought from someone who got it overseas (appearantly only available in UK?) and I get the same problem with displaying more than 99 tracks - I think this may be a limitation of the head unit, and I have gotten around it with using multiple discs through music manager. i think you can get 99 discs with 99 tracks. I havent explored this further because I am still working on a Larger DMS.   Also, you can try using tags to sort the files out if this is not enough.  It seems that the phatbox generates a kind of playlist used internally by the system to organize the artist, genres, and albums, so you have 99 tracks in each of those cartegories you can utilize by renaming them in windows, and you can name them any thing you want - creating a limitless number of playlists.  Hopefully someone will expand upon this as I am still new to the Phatbox, or I can get back to you once I get a large enough DMS up.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 09:44:45 pm »
When you say renaming, it should probably be pointed out that you probably mean 'modifying the tags in windows' and not 'renaming' as renaming suggests the renaming of files which wouldn't help in the slightest ;)

I don't know about other HUs, but Kenwood ones whilst not supporting the display of anything > 99 playlists, actually only resets the display counter but will play playlists > 99.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline vetboksman

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 04:56:44 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. I went back and check my system, it plays more than 99 disks, disk 101 display as 01 - which is fine with me.

With my 20GB drive I never had to worry about exceeding 99, now with 100 GB I have plenty space and its good to know you can really make use of the 100 GB. :)

Offline jb510

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 05:30:47 pm »
I am running VW firmware 7.02.

When I reach 99 on the headunit, the display rolls over to 1, and so does the actual song. So using the forward and back buttons, I can only reach 99 songs. I need to randomize or switch playlists to reach a different set of 99.

With my hacked DMS, I don't even see any preferences that I can change.

Is there a setting I can change directly in one of the ini files?

thanks.