Author Topic: Checking to see if this will work as intended - VW stock to Kenwood  (Read 3874 times)

Offline jheyerman

• Getting the hang of things.
I want to replace my stock deck (2002 Jetta) with a Kenwood deck (KDC-X592).   I currently have a VW/Audio hacked PB with a 160gb DMS

I want to keep my current PB functionality - ie being able to select a "cd", first by artist, then album.  I don't necessarily need the voice prompts, if the Kenwood display gives me the info, but I do like the voice prompts.

So, I have ordered the KHD-5L1 cable (they are in-stock at kenwoodparts.com), and I know to change the firmware to the kenwood version (13.01).  What else do I need to get stuff working (ie VIOT plugin).  The deck I am getting does have changer controls. 

Thanks!
Jeff

Edit: 2008+ Kenwood decks are not compatible with PB/Music Keg
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 02:54:27 am by jheyerman »

Offline Firefox

• Needs to get outside.
  • Kenwood 710 Keg 80GB ;-)
Re: Checking to see if this will work as intended - VW stock to Kenwood
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 01:30:50 pm »
That's all you need.

If you install the Kenwood firmware onto your DMS via the PhatHack Tools and also select the VIOT option that will enable your SSA equivalent modes for the Kenwood firmware.

Probably the biggest thing for you to get used to will be you have to cycle through the SSA/VIOT modes using the SCAN button on the Kenwood HU. There isn't a button for each mode like you are used to.
i.e.
Playlist mode --> press Scan --> Genre mode --> press Scan --> Artist mode --> press Scan --> Album mode --> press Scan --> back to Playlist mode etc etc.

Offline jheyerman

• Getting the hang of things.
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 03:28:01 am »
Thanks for the reply - one worry about the x592, it doesn't have a scan button.  You have to hit the Function button and then press the control wheel in when the scan option comes up, so it may be painful... have to see when I get the deck.  Any idea if you can set the PB up so it defaults to search by artist the first time you hit scan?

Cheers,
Jeff

Offline chuckdubdubdub

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 03:39:36 am »
I wonder... how did this work out???