Author Topic: Firmware Properties Modification - Plugin Registration Code??  (Read 5271 times)

Offline B-Rad

Firmware Properties Modification - Plugin Registration Code??
« on: December 16, 2008, 11:12:40 pm »
Hello! I'm new meat here, but am a Phatbox owner for about 5 years now.  I recently had my DMS go AWOL with corrupted files on me and I ended up having to wipe the drive.  I'm now trying to re-build the drive and am trying to update/modify the firmware, but when I click on the Properties button the Modify Firmware Properties window says "No firmware properties Found. Please click 'Install PlugIn" to install a new PlugIn."

On clicking Install PlugIn it spawns a new window that confirms my Internet connection and then prompts me for the PlugIn Registration Code.  I tried inputting a bogus code to see what would happen (my zip code) and got a Error Connecting to Server/A connection with the server could not be established" > "Phatnoise PlugIn Manger/Invalid Server Response: Server could be down. Please try again later" fault series.  Does anyone know where I can find this code or if this service is still supported?  I've checked everywhere I in my own literature and read quite a few of the posts on this forum but am still lost!!  :P

Lastly, The installed firmware window shows correctly that my current setup is Volkswagen/Audi Brand Stereos, Version 5.01.

Muchas Grassy Ass!   :D

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
Re: Firmware Properties Modification - Plugin Registration Code??
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 01:43:35 am »
Hi! Welcome to the forum.

Sadly, Phatnoise no longer maintain their servers, which is why you are seeing these errors.

However, there is an alternative that does the same job, only better!  See this thread....

http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,1641.0.html

The tools will allow you to rebuild your DMS and set up any new firmware options as needed. 

But there is one very important question that must be asked...  I assume that your Phatbox has not been hacked to take a non-Phatnoise sourced hard disk.  So when you "wiped" the drive, what did you do? If you used the Phatnoise tools then it should be OK.  If you used Windows or similar to completely re-partition the drive then you will quite likely have a problem.  The non-hacked Phatbox will check for some signature bytes at the start of the drive, before the first partition. If you re-partitioned then they will have been lost - they are specific to each drive - and that will prevent the drive from working.  If they are still there you should be OK.

Once you have things working again, I strongly recommend that you take the next step and apply the hack to your box (again using the tools). But please, get it all working first. Folks here can help you, but it makes life easier if things are taken just one step at a time.

Please come back to this thread if you get stuck or need more information.

Good luck!