Author Topic: Are all DMS cartridges interchangeable with other Systems?  (Read 6817 times)

Offline fmzip

• PhatHacker
Are all DMS cartridges interchangeable with other Systems?
« on: January 05, 2009, 04:34:41 pm »
For example, can I take my GM DMS cartridge and use it in a Kenwood system or vice versa?

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: Are all DMS cartridges interchangeable with other Systems?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 08:08:48 am »
Yes, you just need to change the firmware the box is using and to do this you can use the PhatHack DMS Tools.

Use the 'Update firmware' option and ensure you have the option 'Reflash Box' checked.

Note: the box does NOT need to be hacked to use the tools to update the firmware...
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline my2kmx5

• PhatHacker
Re: Are all DMS cartridges interchangeable with other Systems?
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 01:08:13 am »
On Ebay, I purchased a PhatNoise GM Mobile Digital Media Kit which had a 40gb DMS as part of the kit($100 for it on "buy it now"). I changed the firmware to the Kenwood Music Keg and I was in business.So it definitely works. I've not had the nerve to do the hack as I am totally computer challenged. I recently bought a 160 gb laptop hard-drive so I am trying to build up the nerve to do the hack  ???