Author Topic: Reserecting a Kenwood KHD-CX910- Have Question.  (Read 9859 times)

Offline Razor

Reserecting a Kenwood KHD-CX910- Have Question.
« on: January 19, 2010, 07:33:26 pm »
I purchased a Kenwood KHD-CX910 back in 2002, along with a KCA-R70FM modulator with a R-41 Sirius display, installed in a 2002 Dodge Van & used it for a couple of years. After that, I traded off the van & stored the unit till a couple days ago. I presently have a 2006 Toyota with a 4 disc changer,GPS, etc, that is now 4 years old.
     Anyway, I decided to reserect the music keg by installing it in a small toolbox so as to make it portable, in the event I purchase a later vehicle . I have the display mounted in front of the center console & it is portable also.
   All is working well. I have 2 20gig DMS cartridges & 1 40 gig. I would like to get a larger HD without forking out an arm & leg. Is it posible to make a DMS out of any laptop HD? Also, is there a better display available that would replace the one that came with the KCA-R70FM ? BTW, I am using the R&L audio ports on the music keg & plugging the it into the audio aux jack on the dash of the car.
    I apologize for the long post, & as most newbies, need to catch up on things.. Thanks much...

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: Reserecting a Kenwood KHD-CX910- Have Question.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 07:20:33 am »
Once the box is hacked then you can use any 2.5" PATA disk as long as you stick to the 5400RPM rule.

If you are intent on sticking with the FM modulator route then Kenwood did release an update to the KCA-R70FM... appropriately labelled the KCA-R71FM.  You're alternative, is to replace your OEM stereo with a Kenwood one that supports disc text of which you can either buy a brand new one and pair it with a KCA-S220a or look for one in the same series as the one listed in my signature which is known to work with the PhatBox.

The latest hack tools are here: http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,1641.0.html, although are about to be replaced by a newer version shortly.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline Razor

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 04:50:16 pm »
Thanks for the reply. Regarding the Kenwood KCA-R71FM; It looks identical to what I have now. Do you know what changes it could have ? I really don't need the modulator as I get the audio output from the two RCA jacks of the music keg. The KCA-R70FM Display of course has to plug into the modulator in order to get the readout, so in a way, it's still needed. Being that the Toyota Sienna is an XLT model with the NAV sys. dash, plus any future auto purchase, would be similar, I don't think it would be practical to change out  any factory original systems.

The  present KCA-R70FM display is lit white & depending on the time of day, is sometimes hard to read.
     Regarding any 2.5" PATA, I would assume I would have to use an existing DMS shell to house it ?
     Again, thanks much, for the information & your time. It is certainly appreciated.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 07:55:30 pm »
If you were switching from OEM system, I would say IMO, ditch the RCA-FM modulator and switch to using the KHD-5L1 cable with a Kenwood HU.  (Using what I mentioned previously about newer vs older units).

You'll get better results I'm sure, with less complications.  Otherwise I doubt too much has changed between the units.  I was originally going to use one, but found an appropriate HU to minimise the complications.

Yes, use the existing DMS casing to house the new disk.  Undo the four screws and simply prise it apart carefully.  They are very simple to undo and put together again!

Good luck!
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)