Author Topic: Porsche 911 becker cdr-220 install information  (Read 29716 times)

Offline gbarron

Re: Porsche 911 becker cdr-220 install information
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2009, 05:07:37 pm »
I took a look around and couldn't find the piece of paper...but I did find some of my notes when I was assembling the harness.  Going from memory and my notes, one end of the Audi remote CD cable will be 9 loose wires with connector pins crimped onto them.  These go into the mini ISO plugs at the specified pin locations.  Here is what I have:

Color              ISO Plugs              Phatbox Pinouts

Pink/Purple?     C2-7                    22
Blue               C2-8                    10, 13
Brown            C2-9                    4,9,16
Orange           C2-10                  21
Black              C2-11                  24
Yellow            C2-12                  11
???                C3-18                    3
White             C3-19                    1
Red                C3-20                    2

The first one is either pink or purple...you will know once you get the cable and see the loose wires.  The one color I couldn't remember should also be easy as it will be the only one left once you tag all the other wires!

When you chop off the other end of the cable (round 13 pin connector) you will find 4 extra wires that you won't need, just cut them back out of your way.  Also, inside the harness you will find the orange, black, & yellow wires bundled together inside another sheath and wrapped in bare wire (shielding).  This bare wire is your ground wire for pin C2-9, make sure you don't hack it back as it needs to be connected to your new 26 pin connecter at pinouts 4,9,16.  Take these three wires from the new connector end and twist together, then solder to the bare wire that was wrapped around the orange, black, & yellow wires in the harness.  This is your ground/shielding circuit to protect the data/clock/reset connections from interference etc.

Same goes for the two audio wires (red & white).  You will find these wrapped in bare exposed wire too, so make sure you carefully peel back the shielding from both, twist the shielding together, then connect both of these to the wire from the 26 pin connector (pinout 3).  Without this ground/shielding connected properly you will lose the quality of data going over the wires due to interference, etc.

The Audi cable is plenty long, so long in fact that I have it coiled up 4-5 times around my Phatbox which in my car is mounted in my spare tire compartment.  If you wish you could test fit the cable first and then cut it off to the lenght you need before splicing in the new 26 pin connector.  I opted to leave mine the full lenght so I could move the system to another car in the future where I might need the lenght.  I have no data or interference issues so the lenght does not seen to matter.

Hopefully all of this makes sense...I should have snapped a few pics!  I used an OHM meter to identify/test all of my connectors to confirm, I would suggest doing the same just in case my memory is a bit foggy.

Good luck!

Glenn         
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 05:12:55 pm by gbarron »

Offline JSBear

Almost done .. Have one question ...
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2009, 10:36:52 pm »
I'm on my last solder, C2-9 -> 4,9,16

I understand that I'm supposed to use the bare shielding which is not an issue, I basically have 4 unused wires left PLUS the shielding twisted together which should be soldered to C2-9.  I noticed with my Ohm meter, that one of the remaining 4 wires, brown, is also testing GOOD with the continuity tester on C2-9.  So it seems not only the shielded wires, but also the brown wire is tied to the ground wire on C2-9.  Should I wrap this wire around the shield cables and then solder to 4,9 & 16 ?  Or just solder the shielded wires to 4, 9 & 16.  I'm positive the continuity on the brown wire is also testing good back to the ISO on C2-9.

Please advise.  Thanks again for all your help.

Jonas

Offline JSBear

I'm up and running !!!!
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2009, 01:54:34 am »
Everything works perfectly, now I just need to figure out where to actually mount it.  Only spot I can see is where the factory CD changer goes, it's too tall to fit where the spare tire is.

Going to have to do some custom work and likely some drilling.

Thanks for all your help.

Offline gbarron

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2009, 07:01:43 am »
Hey Jonas,

Good to hear everything worked out for you, glad I could help!

Enjoy!

Glenn

Offline JSBear

Question re: operation on the Porsche head unit
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2009, 04:52:04 pm »
I finally got everything in it's final resting place, came out real nice.  Very happy to have my music back.  Have a question that maybe you  can help with since you are using the same or similar head unit.

In my Audi I was able to lookup Artists by Alpha letter, so I could seek through through the various letter of the Alphabet, then stop on the letter, let's say K in this example, then I could seek through all the Artists that started with K.  Can this be done on the CDR-220 head unit and Porsche firmware ?

Right now, I must scan through all the Artists to get where I want to go which can be very time consuming.  Maybe I just don't understand the key sequence on the head unit to seek by Alphabet letter.

So on my Audi, it would say, A, B, C, D, E etc etc. and I would stop on the letter I wanted, then seek from there.  Hope I'm making sense.

Not sure if I applied some kind of hack or adjustment to get this functionality since it was so long ago.

Thanks.

Jonas

Offline gbarron

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2009, 03:24:54 am »
Hey Jonas,

I don't think that feature is available on the Becker head units.  If it is, I have not found it!  It sounds like a cool feature though.  Here is a link to the Phatbox Quick Start Guide for the Ferrari/Porsche head units:

http://www.phatnoise.com/downloads/Becker_Quickstart_Guide.pdf

It does not list anything like the feature you describe that in there, so I would assume it's not available.

Glenn

Offline gbarron

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2009, 03:45:16 am »
Hmmm...I did some more searching and it does look like this feature is available via the seek buttons when browsing by artist or genre modes.  Looking at the quick start guide you go into the seek mode by pressing the "down arrow" button across the top, then the seek buttons as designated on the display.  I am going to have to try this out!

Glenn

Offline JSBear

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2009, 08:56:30 pm »
I was screwing around with it yesterday and figured this out, just as you said the arrow button.  It helps alot but is a bit of a pain on the Porsche HU compared to my old Audi HU.

But it's workable.

Thanks.
Jonas