Author Topic: Semi Dead PhatBox 20GB DMS Cartridge  (Read 7411 times)

Offline djnb

Semi Dead PhatBox 20GB DMS Cartridge
« on: March 08, 2009, 05:45:38 pm »
How should I proceed to revive my 20GB DMS PhatBox cartridge? The cartridge is not recognized by my PhatBox anymore. The PhatBox red light is on, but the green light continuously goes through the cycle of flashing for about ten seconds, off for about five seconds, and then flashing again. PhatNoise Music Manager does not recognize the cartridge either. PhatNoise Music Manager will not connect.

PhatNoise DMS Doctor Results
Detecting DMS                            FAIL: Did not detect DMS
Verifying DMS Filesystem is FAT2    FAIL: Filesystem is not FAT32
Checking for \Data Mount              SUCCESS: \Data Mount Found
Checking for System Files              FAIL:
Checking for Profile & Playlists        SUCCESS: Profile & Play lists Found

In Windows Explorer:
I see the DMS PHTDTA drive and all files in the drive.
I see a second DMS drive, but its named “Local Drive”, not PHTSYS. When I click on “Local Drive” to try to see the files in the drive, I get an error statement stating “the disk is not formatted”.

My DMS cartridge issues may be the result of a dead car battery a few weeks ago.

I have PhatHack DMS Tools installed.

Thanks.

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Re: Semi Dead PhatBox 20GB DMS Cartridge
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 07:10:50 pm »
Your phtsys partition may have just gotten corrupted for some reason.  It happens.  Let's hope for now it's simple, and not a symptom of drive failure.

You've already got the DMS Tools, so try a phtsys repair in Tools Mode.  If that doesn't work, try a full repair.

If you manage to get going again, you should consider hacking your Phatbox as soon as possible, in case the drive is about to fail.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline MDGColorado

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 04:14:50 am »
I just tried a PHTSYS repair (first time I've used the PhatHack DMSTools) and, mirabile dictu, my aac files play again. Nothing else worked. Just wanted to put in a good word for the app--I've been trying to fix this problem for 2 weeks, finally decided to try this, and it worked on the first try.  ;D

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 08:01:23 am »
Excellent, I'm glad (and always am) to hear of yet another success story! :D
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline stf

• PhatHacker
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 02:58:48 am »
Hi, I have similar problem but unfortunately my drive is dead (I dropped the cardridge) so what I did I got the new drive (80GB) and replaced it inside the plastic cardridge box. Now, the problem is how to make it work with all firmwares, partitions etc. I'm green.... please help.

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 09:26:52 am »
Do you mean your original DMS died, and you tried to replace it with a regular 80GB drive?  That won't work unless your phatbox has been previously hacked to work with non-original drives.  The hack can only be performed with an original DMS.

If by chance your box was already hacked, you just need to use the Phathack DMS Tools to create a new DMS on your new drive.  Search the forums for more information.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline webeone

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 08:32:25 pm »
Do you think the"PhatHack DMS Tools" would get the "title - artist" to appear back in head unit?

I've checked everything I know to check..

Offline panamahat

• PhatHacker
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 02:37:16 pm »
I just tried a PHTSYS repair (first time I've used the PhatHack DMSTools) and, mirabile dictu, my aac files play again. Nothing else worked. Just wanted to put in a good word for the app--I've been trying to fix this problem for 2 weeks, finally decided to try this, and it worked on the first try.  ;D

Same here, DMS Tools, an outstanding piece of kit.

I couldn't connect my DMS to the head unit for the last week . . .
Downloaded and installed DMS Tools, ran the repair and bingo ! It's all working again. . .
Many many many thanks indeed. . .

Best

Nick
Switzerland
'04 TT Roadster 3.2V6 Quattro DSG