Author Topic: Slow Browsing in my GM Mobile Media System  (Read 5719 times)

Offline moretools

• I love tools!
Slow Browsing in my GM Mobile Media System
« on: March 10, 2009, 08:17:38 pm »
Hi guys,

I recently  filled  my 40gb DMS up to about 39gb of files.  Once I loaded the DMS back into the minivan, the voice browsing was extremely slow.  It would take a minute to change from one letter to the next, it takes 30 seconds or more to advance from one song to another.  Forget about trying to get thru the alphabet.

I have tried removing about 13 gb of files and defragging the drive. It is better, but not by much.

Do your DMS cartridges slow down as they fill up?  I can only imagine how long it would take to sort 120gb drive.

Is there anything else I should do to improve the browsing speed?

Thanks

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Re: Slow Browsing in my GM Mobile Media System
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 09:06:36 am »
The size or number of files on the DMS should not make much difference.  I have a 250GB DMS with 29,500 tracks in around 750 playlists.  Voice browsing is just as fast now as it was when I was using the original 20GB DMS.  Browsing by letter never takes more than a few seconds between letters.  Only when there are 100s of tracks by a particular artist, it takes slightly longer to browse to that artist, but never more than 5 seconds or so. 

Drive performance could slow down somewhat if you get close to capacity, so you might want to leave a few GB free.  To be safe, check the DMS drive for errors.

I suggest using the options in PMM to fix the DMS database and regenerate the voice prompts.  If you previously created prompts for track titles in addition to the usual fields, don't do it this time around, and see if the performance improves.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS