Author Topic: BMW to Audi  (Read 5106 times)

Offline vs2

BMW to Audi
« on: July 28, 2005, 07:24:36 am »
Hi. I'm new here.
I'm trying to use my Phatbox from my BMW(sold) into my 2003 Audi RS6. I got the correct cable from Clairparts.com and installed the correct firmware for Audi (7.02) onto the DMS.

Absolutely nothing happens though, no lights etc. I've tried the procedures over and over.

I'm sure I read on the Phatbox forums that this could be done or do I need a special Phatbox to work with an Audi. The other thing it could be is that the harness installed between the HU & CD changer is not correct. (was installed by Audi)

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, well done for starting up this site.

Offline az1324

• Getting the hang of things.
Re: BMW to Audi
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 08:03:07 am »
NO lights?  Ever?  Well that means the phatbox isn't even getting power so the harness is not installed correctly.  Otherwise, you might need to read this: http://www.phatnoise.com/downloads/3301-HUSETUP_web.pdf

Offline vs2

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 08:23:32 am »
Thanks, but that .pdf shows what to do after the PB is up and running.

I'll go to Audi tomorrow and borrow a CD changer and hook it up to make sure the harness is installed properly.

I've got a funny feeling that a BMW, Acura etc
PB won't work with Audi.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 09:07:30 am »
There are certain types, Terry Kennedy had posted what was compatible with what on the old forums... but I can't find it right now

Offline vs2

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 07:56:24 pm »
It would be good to find out. If they are not compatible then why would Phatnoise make the cable ends the same (interchangeable)?

Offline vs2

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 03:01:26 am »
OK fixed. For some reason I did not think these units needed to be grounded. As I have attached the PB to the storage door (plastic) it needed a ground to work.

Thanks anyway.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 07:11:47 am »
OK fixed. For some reason I did not think these units needed to be grounded. As I have attached the PB to the storage door (plastic) it needed a ground to work.

Thanks anyway.

Strange, there should have been a ground wire in the cable connecting to the head unit....