Author Topic: Well. looks like its my phatnoise thats dying...  (Read 4287 times)

Offline BuzzKillington

Well. looks like its my phatnoise thats dying...
« on: June 29, 2009, 08:33:38 pm »
Works perfectly until it gets hot. Thought my HDD was failing so i replaced it, got it all working. Played fine all the way to the mall.

Car was left in the sun, fired it up, it got maybe through half an album and started skipping, then shutting right down and dumping to the regular CD player.

Took it apart, found no bulging caps or anything so i dunno what the heck to do.

It was doing it with my 20meg original DMS cartridge so its not the 5400rpm drive issue.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: Well. looks like its my phatnoise thats dying...
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 01:56:08 am »
Move it into an air-conditioned portion of your car? lol

That sucks...

Offline BuzzKillington

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 03:58:49 am »
vented the top of the HDD case, put a temp probe in it.

played for 15 minutes and it never got more than 35 degrees... not really that hot.

worked ok tonight. but it was cool.

Offline giblets

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 07:42:31 pm »
Mine has started doing exactly the same, have checked all the cables, which I thought would be the problem, all seem ok.
I have also noticed that the CD-6 part of the display (audi concert III), keeps blinking, and had a full 'CD error' for the first time today. Have updated the firmware just in case.
Any spelling mistakes/ grammatical errors are there purely to annoy

Offline giblets

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 07:29:37 pm »
Before nearly giving up on my Phatbox, decided to have a good look at it, found nothing wrong internally, then checked the cabling with a voltmeter, again nothing wrong.

Having found nothing wrong with the voltmeter, I did notice that a couple of the contacts on the Phatbox plug (no's 1 &13) seems 'flatter' than the others (they should appear curved from front to back). I pushed a needle under the contacts, to 'curve it', and since then, my intermittent fault seems to have disappeared! (touch wood!) :D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 07:33:49 pm by giblets »
Any spelling mistakes/ grammatical errors are there purely to annoy