Author Topic: my VW Phatbox is 5 years old  (Read 4635 times)

Offline jlv

• A few posts under my belt.
my VW Phatbox is 5 years old
« on: August 07, 2009, 04:15:45 am »
I sometimes worry about what I might do if I ever get rid of my Passat... because then I might lose use of my Phatbox, and that would suck!  Thankfully, at 125K miles, it's still going strong.

(and lately I've been getting a bunch of 'NO CHANGER' errors, with red/green both lit.  I just unplug and replug and it gets going again).

Still, I really love this device.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: my VW Phatbox is 5 years old
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 09:05:32 am »
If you get rid of the Passat, keep the PhatBox and get a Kenwood head unit that supports the Kenwood Keg.
Then all you need to do is load the PhatBox with the Kenwood firmware and you no longer have a problem! ;)
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline jtnfoley

• A few posts under my belt.
Re: my VW Phatbox is 5 years old
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 04:44:35 pm »
2003 TDI Jetta, new in January 03. ~140k miles and going strong, PB almost as old I think (may/june 03 IIRC.)
My original PB had a thermal issue pretty much since day one: I actually broke the vehicle-side harness connector I had to unplug and replug it so many times. A new (to me) PB seems to be immune.