Author Topic: Is My Music Keg Dead?  (Read 6374 times)

Offline galileofigaro

• A few posts under my belt.
Is My Music Keg Dead?
« on: October 04, 2009, 07:05:32 pm »
Hi, i have a kenwood music keg Hacked, the other day my headunit don´t recorgnized the songs (start randon and few seconds then, say eject) i unplugged the wire of the keg and repair the dms (phatsys partion) with dms tools and reinstall the firmware 13.01, i put the dms in the keg, the red led is on, the green is fix on, them start blinking  and them fix again in a neverending loop i´m waited about 10 minutes with this loop and turn off the head unit and turn on a few seconds them, and nothing, not recognized the keg. re-repair the dms with the dms tools and new firmware and when connect the cartridge in the keg..... nothing, the red led not light and the keg not work absolute dead. i don´t remenber if the keg´s leds (red led) are on when don´t have any cartridge in the keg or only light on when insert the dms.

What can i do?

P.S: The media manager recognized the dms without problem i can sinch. all song etc etc
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 07:07:59 pm by galileofigaro »

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: Is My Music Keg Dead?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 07:05:55 am »
If the Keg already had v13.01 of the firmware on, then you shouldn't need to perform a firmware update on it... also you need to be sure you choose the correct options based on whether or not your Keg is hacked.

Re-run the DMS tools, select the DMS, and firmware version 13.01
If your box is NOT hacked, ensure the option 'Install non-hacked firmware' is checked, otherwise make sure it is unchecked
If your box already had v13.01 installed, uncheck the option 'Reflash box'

Click on 'Repair (PHTSYS)'

Then see what the box does...
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline galileofigaro

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 08:05:46 am »
hi, my box are hacked with a HD 120Gb and always run very well since two years ago, y changed de hard disk and install the original non hacked phatbox 10gb hard disk, and nothing, the phat are dead, any light is on and any sound are hear

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 08:09:38 am »
Does the original 10GB have version 13.01 of the firmware installed?
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline galileofigaro

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 08:14:18 am »
Yes, i try with original 13.01 firmware and 13.00 and nothing

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 08:15:13 am »
Can you show me a file list of \PHTSYS for both drives?

Offline galileofigaro

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 08:18:41 am »
how can i do this?

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 08:20:49 am »
okay, well let's put it another way, do you have the files:

forceupdate
forcesettings

on either of the DMS in \PHTSYS?

If so, delete them....

Offline galileofigaro

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 08:27:34 am »
no, i don´t have this files

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 08:39:24 am »
Okay, well the RED LED will only show when the DMS is inserted into the box.
All I can suggest, is to make one DMS work before moving on to the next.

With your hacked DMS, I suggest you do a 'Repair (FULL)' using the DMS tools:

Select version 13.01 of the firmware.
Install hacked firmware (install non-hacked firmware should be unchecked)
Re-flash box should be checked.
Click on Repair (Full).

I think should put, a single playlist on the DMS for you - but to be sure, add a single playlist with just one track on it.

Insert the DMS into the box, and start as normal.
The Red LED should come on, and the green will start flashing (fast)

Leave things for about 15 minutes, before trying to switch back to the Keg on your stereo.
Sometimes this will show AUX EXT, which is normal.  You may need to disconnect the Keg from the headunit by unplugging the cable from the PhatBox.  Leave for a few minutes unplugged and then plug back in.

Perhaps then it will start working again.

Offline galileofigaro

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 09:48:52 am »
Nothing, i follow all your instruction and the red and green led not turn on, absolutely death......

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 09:55:47 am »
Hmmm, I would check the cable from the stereo to the Keg then.

It might also be worth opening the Keg to check the connection points/cables.  It is not uncommon for things to work themselves loose, for example:

Hi,

Opening up the VW box is best described as a bit of an art  ;)

You need to take of the plastic end cover to gain access to some more screws.  The end covers are best removed by starting on the underside of the Phatbox and inserting a thin screwdriver blade or similar to lift the plastic away from the base.  It is latched at each end and you need to lift it by about a millimeter.  Then the underside of the plastic cover can slide forward, the front will then tilt, and the two lugs that secure it to the front of the Phatbox will  just slide out of their slots.  Then you can remove the two screws behind it.  With those and the two at the rear , and the four smaller screw on the underside, the large piece of aluminium can be lifted away.  This allows access to the cable. 

On some units at least, Phatnoise have secured one end of the cable with silicone (or some white glue of some kind) and at the other they may have locked the eject tabs of the connector with a varnish.  If the cable has moved it should be fairly obvious I think.  If it has, then put it back in place and secure with a small amount of adhesive (applied after the cable is seated).  This is also a good time to check the other screws in case they have become loose from vibration, although they are normally locked in place.

You may also want to check the small switch that is next to the DMS connector.  Make sure that it operates correctly when the DMS is inserted (switch is normally open, but close when pressed).

Good luck with the fault finding.

Offline galileofigaro

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 06:50:14 pm »
So thank you very much Vortech, my Music Keg is alive again, the microswitch´s hard disc presence had broke, and the flexible ribbon not good conect to main board, not is the first time that i open my keg but i wanted to empty all posibilities  with dms before remove the keg to my car (are in a very dificult place to remove)