Author Topic: "new" kenwood Keg, first try in Audi  (Read 6047 times)

Offline bertible

"new" kenwood Keg, first try in Audi
« on: October 12, 2009, 08:03:30 pm »
I bought my first Phatbox on Ebay, it is a kenwood music keg with 20Mb DMS.   I've never had it working and have had trouble getting it going on my Audi (Symphony I)

In virtually all trials to try to get the DMS to load the Audi firmware, the following happens.

After each update/repair of DMS, the first bootup of my Phatbox seems to start okay.  (red light, then flashing green light for 2-3 minutes (never as long as 7 minutes))
In some trials, the green light flashes quickly, other times more slowly (2 per sec).
After the phatbox lights go off, switching the head unit on and off  has no effect.  The Symphony Radio shows "CD Load"  but does nothing.
Unplugging the phatbox and replugging it has little effect, the red light comes on for 15 secs then all lights turn off, and I hear a slight click, like an off switch.
The only way to get it to do anything after that is to go back and reload firmware into the DMS (see below) and give another try.

First tried Kenwood Music manager software on my Vista machine.  I could not get any headunits to appear in the Headunit update window.  Then I downloaded (non-kenwood) Phatnoise music manager and this time got headunits to appear,   Updated firmware with version 7.02 for Audi Headunits.  (all subsequent tries have been with this firmware.)
Installed PhatHack DMS Tools and tried various times with "Install non-hacked firmware" both checked and unchecked.  Tried partial and full DMS repair on the vista machine, and it never seemed to complete properly.   

I've now moved both the Kenwood Media Manager and Phathack DMS tools onto my wife's XP machine, in case Vista was the problem.

I've tried combinations of so many different things, which include
Copying 7.02 Audi firmware from phathack site, directly to PHTSYS
Phathack DMS Tools  Full Disc Repair -  various trials non-hacked box checked and unchecked
DMS Doctor shows System Files Failed

I'm a bit worried, that I should not have been using Phathack, before at least getting the DMS to work.   If I inadvertently hacked the phatbox without first getting the DMS to work, does this ruin the box?

Any advice will be appreciated!

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Re: "new" kenwood Keg, first try in Audi
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 10:24:07 pm »
You could not have inadvertently hacked your Keg, and even if you did it would not ruin it.

It might be a stupid question, but since you are using a Kenwood Keg with an Audi stereo, do you have the correct cable?

Assuming you do, you need to to get the Keg to work with the Audi stereo by reflashing the firmware on the Keg.  Use the Phathack tools to do a DMS repair or to create a new DMS.  You want to load the Audi 7.02 firmware onto the DMS, checking the non-hacked firmware option, as well as the option to flash the box with the new firmware.  You might have checked that option once but not allowed the firmware flash to complete. 

Once the firmware is loaded onto the DMS, put it in the Keg, turn the car's power on, and the green lights on the Keg should start to rapidly blink.  You can turn off the power and leave it for 15 minutes or so.  That should do it.  If not, post again.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline bertible

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 02:38:08 am »
Yes, I did buy the cable separately which patches from my existing 6 CD changer (13 pin DIN) to the Keg.   Thanks for quick response, I have tried a DMS repair, but not a "create new DMS".  I'll try that and post the results.

Thanks.

Offline bertible

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 03:34:08 am »
Tried to "Create new DMS" and it started the first task to create a partition, and failed within seconds.  It said, "Creating new DMS Failed.   Check Log for more."

Where is the log?  I looked in the Phathack folder (in Program Files), in my C: Root, and on the DMS itself. and couldn't find a log.

By the way, I am back running on my Vista machine.  Could this be an issue?

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 08:06:01 am »
When running with Vista, you need to run the application as administrator.  (Locate the shortcut, right-click and choose 'Run As')

This is likely to be your problem as the partitioning/formatting routines would need elevated permissions.

The logs can be found in Documents\PhatHack Media Manager\Logs
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline bertible

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 06:41:08 pm »
Fixed!!  I am now with Tunes!

It actually took two steps:

As you suggested, In Vista I had to run Phathack tools as an administrator.  it wasn't as easy as right clicking, I had to go to a Vista forum to find out how to even get access to that option  (UAC - User Access Control)   Anyway, that's for another forum!

However, doing a Firmware update with Audi Firmware 7.02 still did not work. 
However, a search through this forum found another post with a kenwood keg and Audi Headunit.  As it turns out, Audi Firmware after version 6.00 does not work with a kenwood keg.
So,  I reflashed (new DMS) with Firmware 6.00 and put a couple of songs on the DMS.   After updating the box, it immediately played the first track.... I got out of the car and danced!
I then went through the Audi instructions to set the correct Headunit  (CD 6 is the feature menu, and then #7 is my Symphony I headunit)

There are still some issues with some songs not playing (wav?)  but that will be a new topic, if I don't figure it  out.

Thanks VorTechS and markbowen for the help!