Poll

Would you be interested in a DMS cradle upgrade?

Yes, and I have a USB 2 cradle now
15 (71.4%)
Yes, and I have an older cradle now
4 (19%)
It depends, let me think about it
2 (9.5%)
Nope, not interested
0 (0%)
Other - please specify in reply
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: January 20, 2010, 11:47:09 am

Author Topic: Interested in a Windows Vista/7 capable USB cradle upgrade? (and maybe Mac too)  (Read 39044 times)

Offline bassplayer_uk

• PhatHacker
Hi there,

I'm a Mac owner with a PhatBox. I'm VERY interested in getting something that will work with OS X (Snow Leapard). Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I'm happy to do any tests you want and would be prepared to pay for hardware.

P.s. I have a USB 2 cradle.

Darren
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 04:41:24 pm by bassplayer_uk »

Offline burnbender

Hi, I also am interested in a cradle upgrade, I own 2 USB1.0 doorstops and hacked my kegs about 2 years ago. Since that time I went to Vista, and now 7 and I have no access to the keg. How are you going to notify the release date? And can I get myself on a waiting list?

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
Hi, I also am interested in a cradle upgrade, I own 2 USB1.0 doorstops and hacked my kegs about 2 years ago. Since that time I went to Vista, and now 7 and I have no access to the keg. How are you going to notify the release date? And can I get myself on a waiting list?

I'll announce it here when I have the completed upgrades available. I've got 26 new DMS cradle connectors on hand, and there have been fewer than 26 voters in the poll, so I don't expect there will be a delay after I finish the first production run of boards. I've been away from this project for some time due to other issues, but I still hope to announce this in February as I originally posted.

Offline hildeand

• A few posts under my belt.
Hi, hadn't noticed this thread before, but I would certainly fork out for a solution that allows connecting the cradle and DMS to my Mac (running Snow Leopard) without having to disassemble the cartridge and use a USB caddy!

Hilde & Bjorn

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
Hi, hadn't noticed this thread before, but I would certainly fork out for a solution that allows connecting the cradle and DMS to my Mac (running Snow Leopard) without having to disassemble the cartridge and use a USB caddy!

Stay tuned - after an unplanned hiatus, I'll be getting back to this around the 15th of April.

Offline my2kmx5

• PhatHacker
I am interested in this cradle you are working on. I have Windows 7, Home Premium 64 bit version. I have two hacked DMS, one with a 160GB Western Digital drive and another with a 160GB Seagate drive. If this cradle is the solution to using PMM 3.92 or other, then I want one. I hope I'm not to late to get in on the offer.

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
I hope I'm not to late to get in on the offer.

Not at all. I don't take pre-orders or announce ordering until I have a product in hand to sell (on another forum, a bunch of us pre-ordered some custom lights that took nearly 2 years to be delivered). I won't do that to anybody - I'd rather eat the cost of un-sold units. The first batch will be 25 units and I'll do more after that as demand warrants.

Offline phasolutions.com

Count me in Terry. I am tired of booting into Windows XP to run my Phatnoise apps!

Offline farishat

Me too, I would like one to keep my sanity
I'm tired of dismantling the DMS and using a USB key for every CD I add!!! What a piece of work!

Offline jtnfoley

I'm game if it'll fix the mount/dismount stability problem with my new 320GB disk!  ;D

Offline undertow

Please put me down for two upgrades, I have a second unused USB 1.0 cradle :)
Kenwood KHD-CX910 + 250 GB DMS > BMW Business > Audison LRx 5.1k > Morel and JL Audio

Offline gtwibell

Here's another Mac and Snow Leopard user who'd welcome an updated cradle. The horror of booting up an ancient Windows XP laptop just to update the DMS is wearing me down. Put me down for a kit too please (I have the USB 2.0 cradle).

GeoffT.

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
Nothing much has happened on this since my last posts - spring through fall is racing season and I run my race car all around the country: http://www.atomacrossamerica.org - in fact, this is the first time I've been on this forum in months.

I'd like to say that the PC board rapid-prototype place flaked out, but the truth is that we both did. I'll get back to this in the fall - stay tuned.

Thanks,
Terry

Offline amb

• Getting the hang of things.
I haven't been around here much and just noticed this thread.  I am also interested in the upgrade if it's not too late.  I have  Win 7 ultimate x64 on a couple computers here, and a DMS with a 80GB Western Digital drive (might upgrade to a larger size soon).

Offline chico

• PhatHacker
I'd be interested in one of these too. I'm holding onto my ancient XP machine just so I can sync music to my DMS. It would be great to transfer files directly to the DMS from my newer computer. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit) if that helps.

Offline Smertrios

• Huh...
Should the project still be ongoing, I'd be interested in a replacement board for my USB 2.0 cradle - keeping an XP machine just for the sake of the DMS is becoming a pain....  Any information would be gladly accepted!

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
Should the project still be ongoing, I'd be interested in a replacement board for my USB 2.0 cradle - keeping an XP machine just for the sake of the DMS is becoming a pain....  Any information would be gladly accepted!

It will still happen. The current state of things is that I have a hand-made cable that converts the standard Cypress evaluation board drive connector to the connector that the DMS plugs into. I have a couple dozen of those connectors on hand (they're the hardest piece to get as they come from Japan). That's what the screen captures earlier in this thread show. I have a PC board design but no actual PC boards, and I don't know that the layout is correct (electrical or mechanical). I did laser-print the board design on some card stock and test-fit it into a cradle housing, but there's no guarantee that the first batch of boards will actually fit. Though they could be run "naked" (no cradle housing) for people who are desperate.

I plan on getting back to this during the winter months when I can't do anything with my race car (which takes up the rest of my free time). I expected that would have happened by now, but we're still having weather in the 70's here, so I get in as much seat time as I can with the car (I've got over 30,000 miles on it, which is the national record and not likely to be challenged any time soon).

Offline chico

• PhatHacker
Thanks for posting an update on where things stand with this. I know I'm anxiously awaiting having a cradle that works properly with Windows 7. Thanks for the work you're putting into this.

Offline ryanmc

count me in for a cradle or board or whatever i can get. I havent been able to put music on my keg in sometime and just dont feel like taking it apart to do so. a plain board that wont fit in the original cradle would be fine too.
Ryan

Offline vallibus

• PhatHacker
Yep, I'm also interested in a cradle which will work with Windows 7.

Bruce