Author Topic: PhatHack DMS Tools v2.13 - 17th March 2010  (Read 35723 times)

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
PhatHack DMS Tools v2.13 - 17th March 2010
« on: February 13, 2010, 10:06:50 am »

Announcing the updated PhatHack DMS Tools for Windows!

It's about time we had a new version of the tools....and so here's a small interim update!

After a couple of successful tests since not being able to do any work on the DMS Tools, I've decided to go ahead and release this small update so that everyone who needs to, can benefit from the changes.  

I want to also extend a big thank you to T5-Power for his patience whilst I held on to his Kenwood Keg in order to resolve issues with this version of the tools - which proved invaluable to my understanding of how the box works/starts up!

As a reminder, the tools are (excluding Hack Files, DMS Disk Signature Backup and Formatting Code) entirely sourced from my own code and I'll updated the code in the SVN in due course.  The tools are a standalone application with an easy to use GUI and a little bit of documentation on the side.  

I offer general support myself for the application (bug fixing etc) for anyone that runs into problems with the tools....so please let me know if you have any problems/concerns running them!

Feel free to PM/e-mail directly if you encounter any problems with these tools and I'll do my best to provide solutions where possible.

Check out the documentation for some work-arounds to some of the things that have, and may, crop up again.

Vista/Windows 7 Known Issue

There is a known issue with Windows Vista/7 where the DMS tools may fail at the 'Formatting' stage of the 'Create New DMS' or repair processes.
After much investigation, we've established this is down to Vista/Windows 7 'locking' the file system.  We have no idea what this means, or why this happens... but it does seem that a reboot and running the DMS tools straight after reboot gets round this problem.  (DO NOT launch any other processes, particularly explorer).

Last Version?

Unless there are any major problems with it, this is likely to be the last version of the tools that I will release in this current guise.... so that I can concentrate on getting them both embedded into PhatHack Media Manager, and benefitting from the corrections made in the VIOT/SSA modes.

This does NOT mean I will be no longer supporting, or extending the tools!

Once correctly embedded within PhatHack Media Manager, I will be able to release new versions of the Standalone tools with an update user interface!

The Downloads

PhatHack DMS Tools v2.13

PhatHack DMS Tools v2.12 (Previous Version)

Documentation
(Documentation on using the tools for v2.10 and above - will update as soon as I have time)

Documentation Alternative Link
(Documentation on using the DMS tools v2.12 and above - hacking related instructions only)

Documentation ZIP
(Alternative download link for documentation )

Requirements

Check out the documentation for PC requirements.  To be able to run the tools you must have the .NET Framework 2.0 installed, which is available from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en

Latest fixes

Version 2.13

• Fixed pre-partitioned disks not being recognised in DMS Tools mode
  • Fixed bad/corrupt/unknown volume on disks not allowing disks to be recognised in DMS Tools mode
  • Fixed incompatibility with PhatHack Media Manager (requires PhatHack Media Manager update)
  • Added stub launcher, to run DMS tools with elevated permissions (Vista/Windows 7)
  • Added 'Boot Check' process, to create/verify contents of bootload.log file to establish cause of boxes that fail to boot
  • Added 'RC Logs', options to install RC pairs to the DMS.  (Note: Default=No logging)

Version 2.12

• Reverts to playlist style hack
  • Added AAC plugin workaround
  • Added Repair DMS(PHTSYS) function (formats and loads firmware to PHTSYS)
  • Added Repair DMS(FULL) function (formats PHTSYS, PHTDTA and loads firmware)
  • Fixed New DMS process (or repair DMS FULL) to create single playlist, plus SSA data files

Version 2.11

• Never publicly released.

Version 2.10

• Added 'Install non-hacked firmware' option for use with original DMS/PhatBox combinations.

Version 2.9

• Fixed firmware download issues.
  • Fixed error when using 'Update firmware'.

Version 2.8

• Added firmware selection to log (for replication purposes).

Version 2.7

• Modified location of firmware definition file 'am.xml'.
  • Fixed GUI not showing successful DMS creation/firmware update.

Version 2.6

• Added automatic device ejection on successful patch application.
  • Added 'Flash PhatBox with Firmware' option to enable firmware switching. (Experimental, may cause your PhatBox to stop working - recoverable)
  • Added 'Update Firmware' button to perform firmware updates only. (Unproven, and may cause your PhatBox to stop working - recoverable)
  • Added 'Install VIOT' option to install Kenwood SSA. (This installs and works fine, if your data files are good that is!)
  • Fixed error when no firmware available for loading.
  • Added backup URL for Firmware XML files.

Version 2.5

• Fixed issues caused by WMI returning device entries with no signature information

Version 2.4

• Fixed issues caused by WMI reporting invalid partition records
  • Now generates CurrentSetup.xml.  PhatNoise Media Manager may now work with your DMS!
  • Fixed formatting issue for firmware details

Thanks

Many thanks to all the testers who have perservered, re-running the tools where required and providing me with invaluable information!  
Thanks also to ButchHandy for the basis of the documentation for the Windows Vista workarounds for the dd backup...!

Everyone that has provided feedback should be appropriately credit as per the screenshot above.  If you are not shown, and you provided feedback, let me know and I'll put you on the list! :)

Let the bug reporting begin!

[Ignore this stuff here, just a bunch of tags for searching purposes]
Create New DMS, DMS Hack, Create DMS, Update, Firmware, Tools, Windows, Hack, PMM
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 09:01:11 am by VorTechS »
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: PhatHack DMS Tools v2.13 - 13th February 2010
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 02:35:02 pm »
There are bugs, there aren't bugs... a few people have had a small issue with the latest version of the DMS tools, and some haven't.

I have finally managed to work out how to get the cradle consistently working under Windows 7 and managed to rescue the v2.13 code at the centre of this does it/doesn't it debate.  So I'll try and get an update out soon!
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline fdc130

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 04:29:57 pm »
Thanks to everyone who has generously taken time to offer support to phatbox users! It is greatly appreciated. After reading the forum carefully, I'm still unclear on a couple of things regarding the hack.
To reiterate:

Using an original dms and the phathack tools hack wizard, hack the box. Plug the dms in to the box with the head unit on and let the dms program the box to not need the unique key on original dms cartridges so that an alternative drive can be used, correct? It appears that occasionally the hack does not work so my question is this: If the hack doesn't work, what status does it leave the box in? can an original dms still play and if not cant the box be easily restored? I have a spare dms and can acquire a backup so I'd like to give the hack a try but don't want to risk functionality of the box.

I'm sorry if the answer is here somewhere and I've missed it. If so, just point me in the right direction. Again, many thanks to all for their contributions.

fdc130

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 07:28:32 am »
Quote from: fdc130
Thanks to everyone who has generously taken time to offer support to phatbox users! It is greatly appreciated. After reading the forum carefully, I'm still unclear on a couple of things regarding the hack.
To reiterate:

Using an original dms and the phathack tools hack wizard, hack the box. Plug the dms in to the box with the head unit on and let the dms program the box to not need the unique key on original dms cartridges so that an alternative drive can be used, correct?

Correct.  Although 'program' sounds like a long operation... the hack is almost instant.

Quote from: fdc130
It appears that occasionally the hack does not work so my question is this: If the hack doesn't work, what status does it leave the box in? can an original dms still play and if not cant the box be easily restored? I have a spare dms and can acquire a backup so I'd like to give the hack a try but don't want to risk functionality of the box.

On occasions it may be necessary to manually corrupt ramdisk.sig a file on PHTSYS\. 
All you need to do is open this file in a text editor, and type some random stuff in it and save it again.

As long as you don't touch the 1st MB on the disk - your DMS is perfectly recoverable (you can use the DMS tools to perform a repair should it be necessary). 
Part of the DMS Tools hack process backs up this all important MB.

P.S. Use version 2.12 of the tools for now!

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 11:59:36 pm »
It appears that occasionally the hack does not work so my question is this: If the hack doesn't work, what status does it leave the box in? can an original dms still play and if not cant the box be easily restored?

To be specific - the box is not damaged or restricted by an incomplete hack.  It is just not considered hacked as far as the software is concerned, and would still work with the original DMS.  As VorTechS says - in this event, some simple steps are needed to complete the process so that a non-original DMS can be used.

Offline fdc130

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 12:07:53 am »
VorTechS et al. Thanks again.

Can you, or anyone,  recommend a 2.5" drive that swaps out easily with the fujitsu currently in the case? I really only need 80 gigs or so but larger would be fine if it will work easily. Any help as to changing the drive would be greatly appreciated.

fdc130

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 07:14:41 am »
Any help as to changing the drive would be greatly appreciated.

http://wiki.phathack.com/DMS_drive_swap should give you eveything you need to know about swapping the drive :)

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 09:00:55 am »
Updated the DMS tools.  Hopefully this release fixes the problems of the DMS tools raising an exception when analyzing your disks.
Please let me know if there are problems!

Offline Blue Fishey

Re: PhatHack DMS Tools v2.13 - 17th March 2010
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 08:59:59 pm »
I get the below when i start it ????

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find special directory 'My Documents'.
   at Microsoft.VisualBasic.FileIO.SpecialDirectories.GetDirectoryPath(String Directory, String DirectoryNameResID)
   at Microsoft.VisualBasic.FileIO.SpecialDirectories.get_MyDocuments()
   at Microsoft.VisualBasic.MyServices.SpecialDirectoriesProxy.get_MyDocuments()
   at StandAloneDMSHackWizard.frmStartupWizard.PopulateDeviceList()
   at StandAloneDMSHackWizard.frmStartupWizard.btnRefresh_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3607 (GDR.050727-3600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
StandAloneDMSHackWizard
    Assembly Version: 2.13.0.0
    Win32 Version: 0.0.2.13
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/PhatHack/PhatHack%20DMS%20Tools/StandAloneDMSHackWizard.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3082 (QFE.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
PhatUnzip
    Assembly Version: 1.3.3.0
    Win32 Version: 1.3.3
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/PhatHack/PhatHack%20DMS%20Tools/PhatUnzip.DLL
VorTechS.DMSTools
    Win32 Version: 2.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/PhatHack/PhatHack%20DMS%20Tools/VorTechS.DMSTools.DLL
DMS
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.1
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/PhatHack/PhatHack%20DMS%20Tools/DMS.DLL
UsbEject
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/PhatHack/PhatHack%20DMS%20Tools/UsbEject.DLL
PhatDriveSnapshot
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/PhatHack/PhatHack%20DMS%20Tools/PhatDriveSnapshot.DLL
Bass.Net
    Assembly Version: 2.4.4.1
    Win32 Version: 2.4.4.1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/PhatHack/PhatHack%20DMS%20Tools/Bass.Net.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 10:51:18 am »
What O/S are you using?   This one's got me confused (although I'll do a bit of research on it)

Offline BlueTreg

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 09:58:21 pm »
Hi There,

I'm new to this forum...I purchased a VW Touareg with PhatBox installed. Hard drive on my DMS went bad so I installed a new one....but looks like it needs a special format, etc. to work with the PhatBox and Music Manager. Tried downloading your tool but didn't have success. Also tried calling PhatNoise tech support...guess the product has been discontinued.

Anyway would love help getting the new Music Manger software and info on how to setup the new hard drive in my DMS.

Thanks

Arya

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 08:07:39 am »
From the entire post, it sounds like you just swapped the drive out for a new one and expected it to work.
Unfortunately it's not that simple.  You will need to have had your boxed hacked before being able to do this and have the tools work their magic.

The best thing to do, would be to either:

i) Find someone near you who would be willing to hack your box
ii) Buy a replacement DMS cartridge which you can use to hack the box

For the software, head over to http://phatnoise.us, register, and you will be able to download PhatNoise Media Manager 3.92 (NO ACTIVATION).
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 09:14:36 am by VorTechS »

Offline snoutmeat

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 06:00:35 am »
Howdy-

Trying the tools to hack my Phatbox. The software completed step 4 (backing up the DMS) and hangs on Step 5 ("Applying Patch Files") with the error:

"Unable to load DLL 'PhatSig.dll': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E).

Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong? Everything seems fine up to this step. I'm running on XP. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling PhatHack DMS Tools on my computer just in case something was strange with the installation, but no apparent change.

I see from a forum search for "phatsig.dll" that this came up once before when the PhatSig.dll file was apparently left out of an update, but nobody else has been mentioning problems, so maybe it's me? It looks like 2.12 should work just as well for my needs, so I'll try installing that version and see if I have more luck.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 07:02:36 am »
There is a version conflict somewhere that I'm looking at right now to get solved.
If you can wait a couple of hours, I should have it done and tested shortly....

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 11:17:35 am »
I get the below when i start it ????

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find special directory 'My Documents'.
   at Microsoft.VisualBasic.FileIO.SpecialDirectories.GetDirectoryPath(String Directory, String DirectoryNameResID)
   at Microsoft.VisualBasic.FileIO.SpecialDirectories.get_MyDocuments()
   at Microsoft.VisualBasic.MyServices.SpecialDirectoriesProxy.get_MyDocuments()
   at StandAloneDMSHackWizard.frmStartupWizard.PopulateDeviceList()
   at StandAloneDMSHackWizard.frmStartupWizard.btnRefresh_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

I've located the 'Problem' with this.  When you are prompted for the user to run this under, selecting 'This Account' is fine but you need to ensure you uncheck the option 'Protect my computer and files'.

In this light, the update I'll be putting out later today will now have two shortcuts to the tools, one specifically for elevating the rights where necessary.

Offline snoutmeat

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 06:03:35 am »
Howdy-

Trying the tools to hack my Phatbox. The software completed step 4 (backing up the DMS) and hangs on Step 5 ("Applying Patch Files") with the error:

"Unable to load DLL 'PhatSig.dll': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E).

Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong? Everything seems fine up to this step. I'm running on XP. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling PhatHack DMS Tools on my computer just in case something was strange with the installation, but no apparent change.

I see from a forum search for "phatsig.dll" that this came up once before when the PhatSig.dll file was apparently left out of an update, but nobody else has been mentioning problems, so maybe it's me? It looks like 2.12 should work just as well for my needs, so I'll try installing that version and see if I have more luck.

It was actually a bug, and has been addressed and I believe confirmed as fixed - so I'll be putting an update on the site shortly.
However I've also noticed a few other things wrong with v2.13 around playslist and sig generation, that might cause a few minor headaches, so this will be followed in the next day or so by v2.14 (with a handy new feature for just fixing the PHTDTA partition)...

I'm glad you are back up and running again however!
I had success patching the Phatbox with version 2.12, but then, after installing my new 320GB hard drive into the DMS, I had problems with no firmware choices visible in the dropdown box. I searched the forums, and found that someone else had encountered the problem because he had not extracted the zipped files before installing -- just double-clicked on the install file from within the zipped folder. I was guilty of doing the same thing -- I uninstalled v2.12, then extracted the zip file, and then reinstalled 2.12, and everything worked perfectly. I'm suspicious that I had errors with v2.13 because I was doing the same thing (running the software from within the zipped folder rather than extracting all files, and then running the install program). So there may be nothing wrong with v2.13 at all -- it was probably just user error. It's just good practice to extract all files before running the install program -- I shouldn't have been so lazy. :)

Now I'm having fun putting 100 GB of music on my drive to see how it works. Thank you VorTechS for creating the tool and breathing new life into this orphaned audio system that (if history had been more fair) should have ended up in far more  people's trunks.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 06:17:52 am by VorTechS »

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 06:17:26 am »
Howdy-

It was actually a bug, and has been addressed and I believe confirmed as fixed - so I'll be putting an update on the site shortly.
However I've also noticed a few other things wrong with v2.13 around the creation of a playlist containing the PhatHack signature tune and it's sig generation, that might cause a few minor headaches, so this will be followed in the next day or so by v2.14 (with a handy new feature for just fixing the PHTDTA partition)...

I'm glad you are back up and running again however!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 06:20:02 am by VorTechS »

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 07:46:57 am »
I've now released the updated version of the tools, which resolves the problems reported.

The installer now creates TWO shortcuts to the application, if you are on Vista or Windows 7 you will need to use the shortcut ending with (Elevated Rights).  On Windows XP, use the 'normal' shortcut.

Offline gsedun

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 03:56:34 am »
Hi VorTechS - I"m a happy user of the Phatbox in my 2005 Audi A4 for 5 years now but I'm getting a little paranoid about the DMS failing.  Is DMS Tools the way to replace the hardrive in the DMS with a newer one.  If so - what kind of hard drive do I need to get?

Thanks,

Garry

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 09:13:33 pm »
Garry,

I realise that you are a newb on this forum, but please, Search, Read, Understand.  It's all here already (and all asked and answered very many times). 

(And yes, the tools will allow your Phatbox to work with a non-original upgraded DMS cartridge, but you need the original DMS to make the change first)

Cheers,

Les.