Author Topic: bmw phatnoise cable  (Read 6141 times)

Offline bmwm3-1971

bmw phatnoise cable
« on: March 06, 2010, 02:55:47 pm »
i am looking for a cable so i can use a vw/audi phatnoise in an e46 bmw can anybody help???

Offline fmzip

• PhatHacker
Re: bmw phatnoise cable
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 08:49:50 pm »
i am looking for a cable so i can use a vw/audi phatnoise in an e46 bmw can anybody help???
Unfortunately, it's not that simple. You need a BMW phatbox for your BMW possibly a DSP kit or a blitzsafe adapter.

A BMW phatbox cable hooked up to a VW phatnoise simply will not work.

http://www.phatnoise.com/downloads/BMW_Quickstart_Guide.pdf

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
Re: bmw phatnoise cable
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 01:21:22 am »
Unfortunately, it's not that simple. You need a BMW phatbox for your BMW possibly a DSP kit or a blitzsafe adapter.

A BMW phatbox cable hooked up to a VW phatnoise simply will not work.

I have several friends with BMWs that I've set up Phatboxes for. You do need to get the Blitzsafe adapter (and make sure it is internally jumpered for 5V signaling), but a VW / Audi Phatbox will work just fine once you flash it with the BMW firmware and make up a cable.

There are a couple "you can't get there from here" cross-flash paths. Some of the cars that were added later on in the life of the Phatbox need more signaling pins than the original Phatbox provided. So you can use a newer Phatbox in one of the older cars, but not the other way around. The Ford / Visteon version is completely different. We assume the GM one is, too, but we've never seen it.

If you have a car that wants digital audio inputs (like BMWs with the DSP option), it helps to have a Phatbox that has the RCA jacks for audio and the power connector for the DSP adapter, but that's just for convenience - all of that stuff is available on the main Phatbox connector.