Author Topic: 10,000 song limit?  (Read 10117 times)

Offline amd is the best

10,000 song limit?
« on: April 13, 2010, 10:08:17 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I have had my phatbox hacked for quite some time and really appreciate all the great tools and information here!  With that said, my library today reached over 10,000 songs and PMM said that I can not add more then 10,000 songs.  Is there anyway around this?

System details:
PMM ver 2.30
120 GB Phatbox HD
Windows 7 x64

Thanks,
Nick
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 10:10:44 pm by amd is the best »

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
Re: 10,000 song limit?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 04:57:19 am »
I have had my phatbox hacked for quite some time and really appreciate all the great tools and information here!  With that said, my library today reached over 10,000 songs and PMM said that I can not add more then 10,000 songs.  Is there anyway around this?

System details:
PMM ver 2.30

Since you say the version is 2.30, that's probably PhatNoise Music Manager (latest version is 2.35). Version 3 would indicate PhatNoise Media Manager, which is a completely different product.

It is possible that Media Manager doesn't have this limit (perhaps someone who uses it can let us know).

However, it has a very different user interface. If you're going to change, you could also look at PhatHack Media Manager, which is written and supported by one of the other forum members here. If PhatHack MM doesn't support it, he can probably add that feature (I don't think it is a fundamental limitation in the hardware).

Offline amd is the best

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 05:35:27 am »
As it turns out, its the discs in the manager that can't contain more then 10,000 songs.  I created a new disk and put the rest there.  I'd still much rather have all my music on one disc though.  Anyone know if that's possible?

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 06:21:09 am »
I believe it is an imposed limitation due to the limited support for that number of tracks on the head units/and or displays.

PhatHack Media Manager doesn't impose any limitations on the number of tracks you add per disc, or the number of discs you add.
Feel free to try it out, and let us know how you get on! ;)
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 06:41:35 am »
I believe it is an imposed limitation due to the limited support for that number of tracks on the head units/and or displays.

I don't think so - the Kenwood firmware has settings to select between 2- and 3-digit track numbers. On the BMW, which can only display 2-digit track numbers, the counter rolls over and repeats. For example, in Artist mode:

4-98
4-99
4-
4-01
4-02

(The BMW head unit can't display a track number of 00).

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 07:05:31 am »
Quote from: PhatNoise.com
A "disc" on the PhatBox represents a particular playlist as organized in the software component of the system. The PhatBox can have the headunit recognize up to 10,000(!) discs. Each disc can contain up to 10,000 tracks (songs), identified by "rolling over" the two-digit display on the headunit. You can also access these tracks and discs via the remote control that comes with most high-end headunits. And no, those aren't typos. =)

As usual Terry, you're right, reading between the lines, there appears to be no reason for the limitation.  But there's a potential hint in there that the box may be aware of the limitation also....  I don't know if Sam can clear this one up?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 07:07:22 am by VorTechS »
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline bolopez

• Getting the hang of things.
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 11:22:46 am »
I know this is a very old thread, but I've found that 10.000 song limit again. When the number of songs is beyond this limit, my DMS won't work. And the only way to recover it is formatting the drive. Erasing files leads to nothing :(

I'm afraid it's a limitation hardcoded in software or by the database software, but this last case has no sense: why 10.000 and not 16K or 8K. It would sound much logical...

It seems someone thought there would never be such big HDDs...

PNMM 3.92, 160GB Samsund HDD and Volvo HU. Just for the record.

Regards.