Author Topic: PhatNoise.us and PhatHackMM.com site disruption  (Read 9111 times)

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
PhatNoise.us and PhatHackMM.com site disruption
« on: June 29, 2010, 08:32:34 am »
Unfortunately I've woken up this morning to find that my hosting account for the sites PhatNoise.us and PhatHackMM has been compromised.
As yet, I have no indication of how much the affected sites have been compromised other than an IRCBot has been found running on the host.
As the host runs multiple sites, it will take a lengthy investigation to determine the point of compromise.

Until I have been able to isolate where exactly on the host the security issue has occured from, these sites will be unavailable until further notice.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 08:37:48 am by VorTechS »
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: PhatNoise.us and PhatHackMM.com site disruption
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 09:50:28 am »
Well, luckily... that was easier than I thought it was going to be.  All sites I deploy use E107... and unfortunately there was an exploit in one of the pages. 

It's going to take some time to patch this up (I have 7 sites to patch, all remotely which is a lot of file copying) and *then* I have to convince the ToS department at the host that the software is patched.

Hopefully we will be back up and running soon......
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 12:55:07 pm »
.....all fixed, and back up and running!

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 10:41:13 am »
...and not again.

The hosts have updated the kernels on the boxes, and it seems that predominantly the MySQLServers are having some major problems with the new kernel.

Therefore my sites may have been having some problems for at least the last week, and this is set to continue.
I have been assured that 'engineers' are looking at the problem as it's affecting quite a few people...and hopefully it won't take too long to fix up!

For now, expect things to be up and down until they get to the bottom of things.

Sorry for the inconvenience this causes people!