Author Topic: Windows 7 compatibility  (Read 5924 times)

Offline XxWickedz28xX

• A few posts under my belt.
Windows 7 compatibility
« on: April 30, 2010, 04:58:48 pm »
Hey guys, its been a while. Quick question for you guys.

Im running all my phatnoise stuff on an old laptop that still has XP on it. EVerything works fine, but that computer isnt gonna last forever. I know that phatnoise wont work well if at all with XP..but I found this tidbit of info on the web about Windows 7 and I wanna see if anyone here can verify it that this will work with phatnoise.

If you get a computer with Windows 7 Professional or Windows 7 Ultimate you can download XP Mode (basically WIndows XP Pro). Its free from Microsoft. With that you are basically running Windows XP within Windows 7.

I use it on my Win7 Machine when I need to refrence something in XP. One thing with XP mode though is its not for doing anything that requires any kind of 3d rendering.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: Windows 7 compatibility
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 07:46:25 pm »
I've not tried anything in XP Mode yet - but I can certainly take a look at this.

Cradle recognition is a bit of an issue, but I have no idea if XP mode has any bearing on this...I suspect not.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline XxWickedz28xX

• A few posts under my belt.
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 02:50:14 pm »
Please, if you could check that out it would be awesome!

I can get a fairly cheap tower with Windows 7 on it, then upgrade to Pro. New computer that still works with phatnoise.....what could be better? lol

Offline Porpoise Hork

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 01:48:27 pm »
what i do is i use sun virtual box and created a virtual XP machine on W7. in virtualbox settings for the xp machine add the cradle to the usb list (with hdd installed) to the hardware settings for the V-XP client. and once the virtual pc is setup PMM will function just like it did under a full XP pc. 

for adding music to the dms i transfer it to a specific folder on the dms in W7 then start V-XP and reseat the DMS.. the V-XP machine doesnt always catch the dms insert and have to eject it form w7 a couple times, but it does most of the time and you will know it cause the usb connect sound is different and PMM will start. once PMM has loaded transfer the files off the dms onto a folder on the v-XP delete them from the dms and then import them to the dms library via PMM.