Author Topic: Audi Hack - Seemed to Work But DMS Not Recognised  (Read 10921 times)

Offline NS

• A few posts under my belt.
Audi Hack - Seemed to Work But DMS Not Recognised
« on: April 30, 2010, 11:46:02 pm »
Hi,
I the latest DMS Tools v2.14 to hack my box & everything went as the documentation said it should - box said it was hacked & DMS Tools confirmed hack was succesful.
I then created a new 100gig DMS with the tools & that seemed to go ok, but when i ran PMM 3.0 i got a "voice failed" message, i tried to copy some tracks to it & it won't copy. I put it in the Phatbox to see if anything happened & it after a while it switches to my other cd changer.
I then thought i would put my original DMS back in the car until i got the problem sorted, this started to play the first track & when i tried to select album mode i got the "no disc" message.
Now i have 2 DMS cartridges & neither works in my Phatbox?

Please can someone tell me if i'm missing something:-
Do i need a different version of PMM, now my box is hacked?
Should i be checking the "reflash box with firmware" box or anything else when i create my new DMS?
Should my original DMS still work ok in my hacked box?

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: Audi Hack - Seemed to Work But DMS Not Recognised
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 07:37:57 am »
You only need to use the 'reflash box' option when you are updating your DMS to a different version of firmware than was previously installed.
When you start the DMS tools you'll notice that the first thing it does, after selecting your DMS automatically, is to show the version of firmware installed on the DMS.

As your original DMS was working, your new DMS should have the same version displayed.  If not, then you do need to check that option.

The PMM voice failed sounds like a general issue with the generation of Text To Speech (aka TTS) voice prompts, and you may need to re-install the TTS engine. 
Which version of Windows are you running PMM under? 

The original DMS should, and in one mode appears to, work.  I think the DMS tools uses an old version of my code to generate the PhatBox data files which from past bug fixes in PhatHack Media Manager contains problems centred around the Album/Artist/Genre index files.  This is more likely your problem with the original DMS.  Using PMM should fix that up, once you have it working properly.

I'm not sure how 'fatal' the error message you are getting from PMM is.  It's possible that it halts the generation of the PhatBox files once this error occurs - and this will be why your new DMS is not working.  So, get PMM working first, then your original DMS, and then we'll concentrate on the new DMS after.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline NS

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 08:30:41 pm »
Thanks for the swift reply & for all your work on the DMS Tools.

I've checked my old DMS in DMS Tools & the firmware lists as Volkswagon/Audi )with no version No., so i checked in PMM & it is running Audi Ver 6.0. When i created my new disk i actually loaded it with Audi Ver 7.02, but i did not ask it to reflash my Phatbox. I have now installed Ver 6.0 on my new DMS with DMS Tools, so they are all running the same version.

I'm running PMM under Windows XP Pro - how do i go about re-installing the TTS Engine?
PMM recognises both DMS cartridges & i have just tried to add some new music to my old DMS & i now get the same "voice failed" message followed by it crashing - so i guess you are correct & PMM needs fixing.

Thanks again

(Edit)
I've had a bit more of a go at getting things right now, but still not had any luck.
The ATT voice samples don't play from PMM or windows control panel, so i definateley need to reload them, can i do this from the disk originally supplied with my Phatnoise or download them somewhere?
As they weren't working i switched to the Microsoft Sam voice in PMM & then managed to copy some music to my new DMS & eject it without problem.
I put the DMS in my Phatnoise but it still doesn't seem to boot the box, i get a red light, then red & green lights stay lit for 10-15 secs & then go off, this sequence is then repeated over & over.
I have read that some VW cars need the phatnoise cable removed for 10 secs after hacking the box, as they don't power down properley without doing so, could this be an issue with my Audi? The cable is not easy to get at, but i'll give it a go if you think it might be the problem.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 10:39:59 pm by NS »

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 07:43:25 pm »
Pop the DMS in the cradle, start the tools and click on the 'Boot Check' button.

If the tools tells you to pop the DMS back in the car and let it boot (which it should)... then do so.  Then bring the DMS back to the cradle, start the tools and click on the 'Boot Check' button again.

Let me know what the button tells you the problem is.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline NS

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 08:34:08 pm »
Hi,

I inserted the DMS & did the Boot Check - it said that no log file existed, so i created it at the prompt, then was told to put DMS in unit & let it boot, which i did.
The DMS did the same thing again, red light, then red & green for 10 secs, then the stereo switched to my other cd changer & lights continued to sequence again. I checked the DMS Boot Check again & it told me that the boot file was invalid & i should put it back in the unit to allow sufficient time for it to boot.

I have now put it back in the unit & am going to leave it for 1 hr to see if that allows it time to boot - i'll let you know what happens.

Thanks again

(Edit)
I left the DMS in the Phatbox for about 1hr to make sure it had enough time to try & boot, but it was still doing the same thing when i went to remove it. i ran the Boot Check & got the same message again "bootload.log file does not appear to be valid. Insert DMS into Phatbox & allow sufficient time to boot".
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 09:26:24 pm by NS »

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 06:16:48 pm »
If you open the file up in an editor such as notepad, what's in there?  If nothing, type in some random characters and save... and try the process again.

Offline NS

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 07:26:15 pm »
This line of text is in the bootload.log file :-

"This file will have it's content overwritten the next time you boot your PhatBox / Keg"

So the file looks like it's been created ok.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 11:05:12 am »
I suspect that sometimes the initial bootloader can't access the whole drive... the bootload.log you created may not be accessible or something.

Try making a copy of phatd.sig then renaming the original to bootload.log and the copy to phatd.sig and see if that makes the bootlog have data in it.

So I'm sure I understood: Your original DMS does not work in any mode?  It played hack worked message but then stopped working afterwards?  If it doesn't work, that seems very strange.... and you should try to bootload.log on the original DMS as well to see what it says

Sam

Offline NS

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 01:43:50 pm »
Thanks sbingner, i'll try that later.

Yes, my original DMS played the hack worked message, i then took it out of the Phatbox & ran DMS Tools on it, & that also confirmed that the hack was successful.
When i tried to use the original DMS again in my Phatbox it started to play the first track, but as soon as i changed to search for another album/artist i got the "no disk" message. I can look at it with PMM & see all the music, but it won't play in my Phatbox.

I'll try & look at the bootload.log on the original DMS also.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 06:29:11 pm »
With the original DMS, I'd remove the hack playlist if the DMS tools didn't do that (I'm sure it will have done), add another random track to the DMS and 'Save/Eject'.  That might just sort that problem out.

I think I mentioned before that the code for generating the PhatBox files isn't great.

Offline NS

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 08:41:29 pm »
With the original DMS, I'd remove the hack playlist if the DMS tools didn't do that (I'm sure it will have done), add another random track to the DMS and 'Save/Eject'.  That might just sort that problem out.

I think I mentioned before that the code for generating the PhatBox files isn't great.

Thanks - that worked, my original DMS is now back in action!

Try making a copy of phatd.sig then renaming the original to bootload.log and the copy to phatd.sig and see if that makes the bootlog have data in it.

Tried that & still getting the same message about the boot file being invalid & to put DMS back into Phatbox & allow sufficient time to boot - which i did again with the same results as last time.

Any other ideas on getting my new DMS working?
Could it be anything to do with the Audi firmware versions, as described in my earlier post? I originally created the new DMS with a newer firmware than on my Phatbox & then ran PhatHack Tools again to install the same version on the new DMS.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 08:50:23 pm »
Did you choose to install the non-hacked firmware?

Offline NS

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 08:55:54 pm »
No, i don't think i checked that box when i loaded the firmware on my new DMS.
I'm pretty sure it told me the firmware i was loading could only be played on a hacked Phatbox.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 06:27:21 am »
Okay, to be sure nothing has gone wrong, I'd do the following:

1. Empty the contents of the folder 'My documents\PhatHack Media Manager\Logs' on your PC
2. Start the tools with the new DMS in the Cradle
3. Switch to DMS Tools mode
4. Select the DMS, and the version of the firmware that is known to be working on the other DMS
5. Ensure the options 'Reflash box' and 'Install non-hacked firmware' remain unchecked
6. Click on 'Create New DMS'

Once complete, start PMM and add yourself a playlist/track, removing anything the tools has created - Save/Eject.
Pop out to the car and have another go.

If it's not working still, have a look in the 'Logs' directory on your PC - open up the 'Create New DMS' log file (it should be named something appropriate to the function) and scan through it to see if there is anything that indicates a failure...or post it up here as an attachment and I'll take a look through it.

Offline NS

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 08:55:39 pm »
Hi VorTechS

I followed your instructions, but the DMS still does the same thing when inserted in my car.
I've had a look in the New DMS log file & can't see what is wrong - but i'm no expert!
I have attached the file, so you can have a look & see if there is a problem.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 07:36:08 am »
Use the RC logs function on the tools, to install the Verbose version... pop the DMS in the car, and back to the cradle.
There will be a logfile generated (I hope) that might give us an indication of whats wrong.

I think it's just called 'logfile', and can be found on PHTSYS\

Can you attach that please?

Offline NS

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 08:09:38 pm »
I tried that & got the message that verbose logging was enabled. But no log file was generated on my DMS when i checked in PHTSYS/.
How long should I need to leave the DMS in my car for, to allow it time to boot properley?

Offline NS

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 10:12:03 pm »
I have now sorted the voice issue with PMM - tried all sorts but ended up installing a newer version of the ATT&T Natural Voices & that solved the problem.

I just need to sort out my new DMS - does anyone no what i should do to try & get it working?

Thanks

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2010, 11:44:02 am »
I wonder if you need the LBA version of linux?

Bit of a stab in the dark here....but only other thing I can think of right now, your drive might be on the limit of the LBA check.

In the installation path for the DMS tools, there is the folder: DMS_Utils\HackFiles.
Copy the file 'linux', over the top of the existing one on the DMS and see if the PhatBox gets any further.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 11:48:18 am by VorTechS »

Offline NS

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2010, 10:49:39 pm »
Thanks for that VorTechS - unfortunately still no joy, the DMS is still doing the same thing.