Author Topic: VW - Headunit won't recognize PhatBox after I screw up custom cable...  (Read 5333 times)

Offline cruster

Hello, I have a 2003 VW Passat B5.5 Variant with Monsoon stereo. I picked up a used PhatNoise kit a few months back, which was working fine. Over the weekend I tried to build a custom cable using a mini-D connector so that I could tuck the PhatNoise away and out of sight in the CD changer mount location in the hatch of my wagon. Unfortunately, the diagram I was using flipped the two rows of pins on the connector so I wired everything more or less backwards.

When I connected the unit with my "bad" cable, nothing happened - no power, drive did not spin up. When I figured out what I had done, I switched back to the stock cable and...now the headunit won't recognize the PhatBox. When the DMS is inserted, the red light comes on, followed a second or two later by the green light, which stays lit for about 5 seconds. I can hear the drive spin up..red light stays lit, but pressing CD on the headunit now just invokes a "NO CD" message.

Did I fry my PhatBox?

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
It's possible you did, another user I know tried a custom cable with their box had a similar problem and bought another box which then worked with the original cable.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline cruster

Is there any test I can run to know for sure before I shell out for another box?

Offline jtnfoley

• A few posts under my belt.
OP: Where are you located?
I have a semi-fried PB (heat issues, gives me "CD-X" error on hot days in the summertime) that I'm willing to allow you to test against.
Its' already hacked and is fine for days after being power cycled.

I'm in Southeast Massachusetts FWIW.