Author Topic: Music Manager Application Error Prevents opening and reinstalling software  (Read 11610 times)

Offline Rob

Hi,

I just found out by calling phone support for PhatNoise that they no longer provide support.  Hopefully someone will read this post who knows what to do, and will take the time to help.  Whenever I try and open the PhatNoise Music Manager or try and reinstall the software I get the error message:  In the blue bar on top - "PhatMan.exe - Application Error".  In the body of the message I get "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005).  Click on OK to terminate the application."  When I click OK the exact same error message appears.  After clicking OK a 2nd time it is cleared.  I even tried to uninstall the software from the control panel - I am running version 2.30 on Windows XP, but nothing happened, no error message, no starting to uninstall.  I last used it to add content to the DMS just a couple of weeks ago and everthing worked just fine.  I haven't added any new software or done anything to the registry that I am aware of.  If I don't get some help or somehow figure out what to do to move forward I will have to live with my DMS as it is and will lose all that I have in the music manager that is not on my DMS. 

Thank you in advance to anyone who has some ideas and is willing to take the time to help.

Rob

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
Whenever I try and open the PhatNoise Music Manager or try and reinstall the software I get the error message:  In the blue bar on top - "PhatMan.exe - Application Error".  In the body of the message I get "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005).  Click on OK to terminate the application."  When I click OK the exact same error message appears.  After clicking OK a 2nd time it is cleared.  I even tried to uninstall the software from the control panel - I am running version 2.30 on Windows XP, but nothing happened, no error message, no starting to uninstall.  I last used it to add content to the DMS just a couple of weeks ago and everthing worked just fine.  I haven't added any new software or done anything to the registry that I am aware of.  If I don't get some help or somehow figure out what to do to move forward I will have to live with my DMS as it is and will lose all that I have in the music manager that is not on my DMS.

A couple things:

1) I think the last version of PMM2 was 2.35. That's what the Options / About says in mine, anyway. You could try installing this newer version and see if that helps.

2) Stuff on Windows tends to get stuck in a broken mode. Often a complete re-install of Windows is the easiest way out. If you have some way of making a good backup (like an external USB drive and a free trial of ShadowProtect Desktop), you could try one of the "registry cleaner" programs to see if that helps. In my experience, they just make broken systems worse.

3) Probably the best news - your MP3 or whatever files that you have stored "in" PMM are somewhere on your hard drive as normal audio files. You can back them up before you nuke PMM, and then re-import them on the new install.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
There is always of course the option to move to PhatHack Media Manager, for which I am making a concerted effort to stabilise and make more usable.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline Rob

Thank you Vortechs!!  When you mentioned the possibility of using a registry cleaner it occurred to me that the registry might have gotten corrupted somehow and since it hasn't been corrupted too long, I could restore the registry.  So I did a system restore which right away alerted me to an old external hard drive (12 years old) that I had installed about the time PhatNoise had become impossible to open, which would not work when I completed the system restore unless I re installed it.  After the system restore PhatNoise once again worked flawlessly. 

Thank you for your help!
Rob

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
You mean Terry.... ;)
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)