Author Topic: 320GB Does not work when inside the DMS Case & Cradle  (Read 7557 times)

Offline gamer2win

320GB Does not work when inside the DMS Case & Cradle
« on: June 30, 2010, 11:36:52 pm »
After reading that some people were able to use the 320GB  WD (WD3200BEVE)
I went ahead and bought a 320GB, When I put it in the DMS Case and use it on the USB 2.0 DMS Cradle, the hard drive will not
show up in Windows 7  64bit  (20GB / 80GB are fine)

So I took the 320GB out and put into a USB 2.0 Enclosure and it works fine, I went ahead and use DMS tools 2.14 to create new DMS and it creates it no problem
So I put the 320GB back to the DSM Casing and still with not show up on the computer. The green light on the cradle turns on and USB 2.0 message on the computer says trying to load driver. then eventually the green light on the cradle goes off and nothing shows :(

any idea what the issue could be??
thanks

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: 320GB Does not work when inside the DMS Case & Cradle
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 06:13:02 am »
Yup, the problem is Windows 7 and the cradle.

What you should find if you look in Device Manager, is a disk drive with an exclamation symbol next to it.

If you un-install the driver for that drive... the DMS may start working immediately the first time.  (Subsequent times, there'll be no driver issue).
From there on in, once you put the DMS in the cradle then you just wait.  And I mean wait, for an extraordinarily long time and the DMS will eventually show up in Windows.

Moving forwards, there is the potential for Windows 7 compatible boards to be available for the cradle in the future (no timescales yet).  When Terry is done racing around in his Atom then we might see a little more progress on this.

Otherwise, consider using a USB caddy ... if PhatNoise Media Manager doesn't like this then consider switching to my software - PhatHack Media Manager which doesn't care how the device is connected...
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline gamer2win

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 03:48:13 am »
After reading around this forum more, I see people say Vista won't see 250GB nor 320GB
so I put in WInXP and is all fine, So I have a working 320GB DMS now

but I don't really want to use WIn XP, So what I will do is take out the hard drive from DMS case
put in a USB enclosure Win7 64bit see the 320gb fine,

Use PMM and put the songs I want and then put it back to DMS case, Yes PMM sees the USB Enclosure as if it was in a Cradle :)

For people out there that have USB 1.1 DMS Cradle and don't want to buy a new USB 2.0 DMS Cradle
this is what you can do, Take drive out and put in a USB 2.0 Enclosure , use PMM put what you want
and then put back to the DMS case. ANd you don't need to use Win XP   (the ony thing is you have to do this everytime you want to put new songs in)

Offline farishat

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 06:44:06 am »
when do we get to see that new cradle?

Offline chico

• A few posts under my belt.
  • PhatHacker
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 01:28:44 pm »
I'm very much looking forward to that cradle as well. The only time table given so far is "this Fall". You can read about it in this thread: http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,2383.0.html.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 01:31:01 pm by chico »