Author Topic: Trying to create new DMS  (Read 8350 times)

Offline jesus marion joseph

• A few posts under my belt.
Trying to create new DMS
« on: September 18, 2010, 12:20:29 am »
The latest installment in my bungling attempts to create a 320G DMS.  I purchased a WD 320G drive, put it in my DMS case, opened DMS Tools, checked the "install non-hacked firmware" button and then clicked on "create new DMS".  Looked to be formatting the disk for a few minutes, so I went away, came back and it "failed to create DMS".  Opened explorer and there is a PHTDATA drive, but no PHTSYS drive.

How horribly off base am I?

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: Trying to create new DMS
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 07:36:14 am »
Take a look at the log files, in (My) Documents\PhatHack Media Manager\Logs.  There'll be one for the New DMS process.  Have a scroll through and see if there was a failure creating the PHTSYS partition, or formatting it.

Which operating system are you using?
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 01:38:08 pm »
I'm using XP.  I've attached the log file, which seems to indicate formatting failure for both partitions.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 02:18:26 pm »
For some reason the program thinks that PHTSYS is 0 bytes, which has something to do with it.

Try again, possibly after a reboot.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 02:27:52 pm »
Second attempt appears to have worked.  Thanks!

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 02:40:56 pm »
ALthough it appears I have managed to create a new DMS, it also appears that I made a boo-boo and wiped out all of my tunes on the external HD plugged into my computer and, worse, created a PHTDTA partition that takes up all but 63GB on the drive.  Can someone point me to an idiot's guide to re-formatting that drive so I can store more than 63gigs of music on it? :-[

Thanks.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 07:01:05 am »
Er, the external HD is your Phatbox disk or not?

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 12:35:56 pm »
Yes, I apparently attempted to format an external HD as my DMS. :P

Wiped out my music collection in the process, but I got the HD reformatted and have begun ripping music to it.

Moral: pay attention to what you're doing. 8)