Author Topic: Kenwood Head Unit Compatability by Model Number.  (Read 13465 times)

Offline gmonchak

Kenwood Head Unit Compatability by Model Number.
« on: October 29, 2010, 06:49:29 pm »
So after spending five hours on here last night attempting to figure out what head units will be compatible with the Phatbox (or Music Keg) I figured I would try the direct approach.

From what I can ascertain 2007 and older models with CD Text and CD changer controls via the 5L bus should work. I also have read that some newer 2008 and newer decks have had success using the KCA-S220A Aux Input Switcher.

Could you list what Kenwood model number head unit you are using and if it is working with your Phatbox or Music Keg. I am particularly interested in single-din fold out models like my KVT915DVD, but feel free to list whatever your setup is. Also mention if you are utilizing the VIOT/SSA feature if possible.

I was looking at the KVT819DVD since it does also support the iPod. I don't plan to use this feature immediately (since the PB blows it away in my opinion) but it would be nice to future-proof it. If you are using this with success I would love to hear about it.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 08:32:04 pm by gmonchak »

Offline gmonchak

Re: Kenwood Head Unit Compatability by Model Number.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 04:03:38 pm »
Wow, this forum is pretty dead? I realize the product is old and antiquated, but I know it still has it's cult following. No one  is running a newer Kenwood HU with a Music Keg?

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 10:43:00 pm »
Wow, this forum is pretty dead? I realize the product is old and antiquated, but I know it still has it's cult following. No one  is running a newer Kenwood HU with a Music Keg?

Not everyone on this forum uses Kenwood head units, much less newer ones.  There are also many members using VW and other models.

There is a sticky on Kenwood head units (http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,2127.0.html), which covers the issue of newer model compatibility about as much as possible.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline gmonchak

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 01:03:12 pm »
Oh, I know that there is a fair share of other-than-Kenwood out there, but I thought there had to be a few out there like myself that refuse to but into Apple's iCrap and want to hold on the the PB. Thanks for the link, but already saw it. I have read every thread on this forum that comes up under "kenwood" as a search.

I just can't believe that no one is usung a kenwood HU from the last few years other than the one guy in that thread.

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 11:58:44 pm »
I just can't believe that no one is usung a kenwood HU from the last few years other than the one guy in that thread.

I am sure that there are quite a number of such users.  However, unless they have problems, very few of them would be regular visitors to this forum.  There are a few of us that snoop regularly for activity, but as mentioned by Mark above, we are using a variety of versions of the Phatbox with a wide range of head units.

Offline jheyerman

• Getting the hang of things.
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 12:29:25 am »
Well I am "the one guy", and and the answer is the Kenwood compatibility sticky:

I should also mention that decks with the KAB connector instead of the 5L are definitely not going to work with the phatbox.  The S220A is not compatible with units with the KAB connector (if it is tried with a 5L to KAB adapter).  That rules out any DVD/Nav deck later than 2007.

The deck you mentioned you would like to get (KVT819DVD) is a 2007 model, so you would be ok.  Also based on screen shots it looks like an identical interface to the DNX7100, which I have and can confirm works with the keg/phatbox (including VIOT).  You can also look up models on crutchfield to confirm they have changer controls; the 819 does.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 01:53:12 am by jheyerman »

Offline jackmahan

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 05:20:54 pm »
I am trying to get my music keg to work i purchased it long after i installed my system and i want it to play AAC files i am not savy enough to get it working can someone help here is a breakdown of my system:

Head unit : Kenwood Excelon KVT-819DVD

Bluetooth: BT-200 firmware says FW170

Sirius Connect for Kenwood Model#: SIR-KEN1

Kenwood Excelon KAC-X522 Kenwood

KNA DV4100 - Navigation system

Back-up camera

Kenwood music keg Model unknown with 20 GB DMS

Offline jheyerman

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 12:56:37 am »
I think you would need a KCA-S220 switch.  Head unit to switch, port 1 of switch to phatbox, port 2 of switch to BT200, feedthru on BT200 to sir-ken1  *or* port 1 of switch to sir-ken1, feedthru on sir-ken1 to phatbox, port 2 to BT200.  I would try the first config first.

Of course, you also need the proper Kenwood to Keg cable and to apply the kenwood firmware to the keg if it is not already set up for it.

Jeff
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 12:03:51 am by jheyerman »

Offline gmonchak

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 04:22:24 am »
Just giving an update. I wound up getting a KVT-819DVD and installing it. It works just fine with the Kenwood Keg. I also have a G510 navigation unit hooked to it as well. Personaly I liked the older 915's user interface compared to the newer 819's, but overall it is much less glitchy with massive numbers of playlists. I have a 200GB DMS and few thousand albums/playlists on it.

Back when I first installed the Keg and the original 915 I had stripped down the keg to fit it all into a double-din space in my '88 4Runner. I figured a few out there might be interested.

Offline jfg69

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 06:13:50 pm »
Been looking at these threads myself, as I just picked up a PB for my 98 Passat wagon. I plan on using it with the stock head unit for now, but would like to grab a Kenwood unit with BT to upgrade to in the near future. I just bought a SS220 adapter off ebay for a few bucks since it was the only one I saw, figuring it may come in handy since a few ppl said they were able to get things going on other HU's using that. I was hoping to find someone who successfully got a BT945 working with PB..

Offline jheyerman

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 12:23:16 am »
I have the KDC-X994 now, basically the BT945 you mentioned in the excelon version.   PB works fine thru S220. 

Jeff

Offline jfg69

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 02:26:52 am »
I have the KDC-X994 now, basically the BT945 you mentioned in the excelon version.   PB works fine thru S220. 

Jeff

Just realized I replied to this again in a diff thread..  ::)

Yeah, I was looking at the X994 and it looks pretty nice, gonna keep an eye out for that one too. Right now I want to get hooked up with my stock head unit and make sure the PB is working as it should. The unit I bought has 1800 songs on it, trying to sort through and see what I want and how to get the playlists working. After that, I'll see about HU's.

I thought I saw mention of a Sony or 2 working with PB?