Author Topic: Mazda phatbox navigation  (Read 5488 times)

Offline chico

• A few posts under my belt.
  • PhatHacker
Mazda phatbox navigation
« on: December 15, 2010, 04:29:00 pm »
I have a phatbox that I bought for my GTI and then converted to have it work with the Mazda3 I bought a few months ago. For the most part it works the way it did in the GTI.

However, there's one thing I can't figure out. When I got to the "Now browsing artists" option in the GTI, I could just hold down the 'up' or 'down' button to jump one letter at a time alphabetically to navigate quickly. With the Mazda3, I have to keep hitting the 'up' or 'down'  button repeatedly. Am I missing something with the quick navigation in the Mazda3, or is this feature just not supported by Mazda?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
Re: Mazda phatbox navigation
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 10:35:18 pm »
I could just hold down the 'up' or 'down' button to jump one letter at a time alphabetically to navigate quickly. With the Mazda3, I have to keep hitting the 'up' or 'down'  button repeatedly. Am I missing something with the quick navigation in the Mazda3, or is this feature just not supported by Mazda?

Until / if someone posts personal experience with the Mazda, I have a couple thoughts: Controls, regardless of whether in car stereos or remotes for home stereos, have 3 general ways of operating when pressed and held: 1) They send the command and then repeat the same command while held (best), 2) They send the command and then repeat a different command which I'll call "Again", either unique to the function or a generic Again for all buttons, or 3) They send the command and then ignore the button until you let go.

If your head unit does the 3rd type, there's nothing that can be done. Did you have a real CD changer in the Mazda before installing the Phatbox? Did it handle holding the button down?

Offline chico

• A few posts under my belt.
  • PhatHacker
Re: Mazda phatbox navigation
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 04:19:01 pm »
No, I didn't have a changer in before hooking up the phatbox. From the way the headunit behaves, it seems like the button behaves like no. 3. Thanks for your response, and hopefully someone with a Mazda will chime in on this thread sometime.