Author Topic: Can't format new DMS  (Read 6940 times)

Offline MyM

• PhatHacker
Can't format new DMS
« on: January 04, 2011, 12:43:43 am »
Ive had some problems with my DMS and Kenwood music Keg, corrupted files etc so decided to just wipe the DMS and recreate it, that's where I get more problems  :(

Using Music Manager would result in the program telling me it couldn't copy files to the HD saying it couldn't create the files and the PHTDTA partition would suddenly disappear. PMM and PHMM would both not copy files either but I cant remember the error it gave for these.

Ive used DMS tools to reapply the hack and then tried to create a new DMS, it creates the partitions but fails when trying to format PHTDTA. Once it fails I can no longer access that partition, I have to plug the drive into a laptop and remove the partition before the PC can access the drive again, once the partitions are made and format fails it wont show up in DMS tools/windows disk manager but is present in device manager.
end of log file has:
Re-checking WMI device list....
[Cycle 59] Re-checking mounted drives for disk...
[Cycle 60] Re-checking mounted drives for disk...
Completion time: 00:21:10

I'm using 2.14 of DMS tools, USB2 cradle on Win XP SP3
160GB WD drive

Plugging in my original DMS drive and formatting that is fine, so I'm assuming its something with the new 160GB drive even though its been running in my kenwood for at least 12-18months, I've run WD diagnostics on it and also chkdsk originally when I was having corrupted files and it checks out fine, so I've run out of ideas, what else to try?

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: Can't format new DMS
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 08:44:10 am »
The formatting assigns the volume labels so it's not a surprise there's a failure for the DMS tools to recognize the disk.  For some reason there seems to be a common misconception that you need to 're-apply the hack' - which you never need to do once a box is hacked, you only need to ensure you apply 'hacked firmware' to the DMS.

Before running the DMS tools to format your disk, make sure that there are no 'Windows Explorer' windows open, or 'Computer Management' windows open... and also if necessary, try running the application 'as administrator'.

I'm not sure what the last set of code changes I made to the DMS tools were, as it's been a while since I've been in the code and I can't find my changes document, so I'm not sure if there may have been a fix related to formatting problems recently.  I'll try and dig that information out over the next couple of days.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline MyM

• PhatHacker
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 12:38:27 pm »
No matter what I tried I couldnt get it to format on this PC, DMS tools would either fail to partition or format and then make the disk unrecognisable or it would crash also making the disk unrecognisable, even tried reinstalling DMS tools which made no difference.

Used a laptop with a new install of DMS tools and its partitioned and formatted no problem, the DMS is now working fine with music manager/media manager on the original PC so no idea whats gone on.

At least its working now, thanks :)

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 01:01:37 pm »
Curious, did you try different USB ports per chance?
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline MyM

• PhatHacker
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 05:14:06 pm »
Tried that, only thing I couldnt try was a different cradle or PSU.