Author Topic: One more time - PMM and Registering in Vista  (Read 44947 times)

Offline pmsrw3

Re: One more time - PMM and Registering in Vista
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2008, 07:32:14 pm »
If the "run as administrator" box was disabled, it suggests you are not logged on as an administrator.  To install everything successfully on Vista, make sure you are logged on with admin privileges.  (Just to be sure, disable all that User Account Control crap.)
I am logged on with admin privileges, and I have disabled UAC, and Run as Administrator is disabled.

Offline pmsrw3

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008, 11:14:44 pm »
If the "run as administrator" box was disabled, it suggests you are not logged on as an administrator.  To install everything successfully on Vista, make sure you are logged on with admin privileges.  (Just to be sure, disable all that User Account Control crap.)
So, turns out the trick to getting it working is to do the opposite of what markbowen says  ;).  In order to enable the "Run as Administrator", you need to enable User Account Control.  You can disable UAC again once you've set "Run as Administrator", and presumably you could also do the equivalent registry edit without mucking with UAC at all, but anyway, that's what it takes if you want to use the check box.

Moreover, even on Vista, you must install the Microsoft Speech SDK to get things working.
I have not installed the MS Speech SDK, and it is now working perfectly. ;D

Offline nomoss

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2008, 02:31:13 am »
I'm making some progress. I enabled User Access Control, checked the Run as Administrator box, and reinstalled PMM 3.92.  This time the program paused during install and I was able to insert the hacked ATT voices file during the install and the installation completed successfully.  However, now the PMM does not recognize my DMS, giving me the message "error retrieving DMS drive ID", telling me to close Nortion, Media Player and Notepad.  Any thoughts about this would be appreciated.

(As an aside I installed a Virtual machine using VMware 6.0 and installed XP and PMM 1.86 on the virtual machine. I can now run XP from within Vista and am able to add new songs, playlists and voice prompts on the DMS.  Not an elegant solution but at least it works.... though I get a different voice.)

Offline nomoss

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2008, 03:17:00 am »
Got it.  All I needed to do was right click on the PMM desktop icon and select 'run as an administrator. Now PMM 3.92 in Vista is adding voice prompts to my Phatbox DMS in the Audi. There are even several different voices to select.  It's too bad those guys ad Phatbox don't help us out with these fixes.

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2008, 09:37:03 am »
So, turns out the trick to getting it working is to do the opposite of what markbowen says  ;).  In order to enable the "Run as Administrator", you need to enable User Account Control.  You can disable UAC again once you've set "Run as Administrator", and presumably you could also do the equivalent registry edit without mucking with UAC at all, but anyway, that's what it takes if you want to use the check box.  I have not installed the MS Speech SDK, and it is now working perfectly. ;D

Yes, always do the opposite of what I write.  I'm from the Bizarro Phathack universe. :)

I don't know what to tell you.  I disabled UAC immediately after installing Vista, because it was annoying the heck out of me, and installed PMM 3.92 and ran as administrator without issue.  I was also getting stream errors when trying to create voice prompts until I installed the Speech SDK.  That was just my experience.  The only thing I can think of is that this was all pre-SP1.  Assuming you have SP1 installed, that might account for the different issues.

Anyway, glad to see everyone is up and running and happy now.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2008, 08:39:10 am »
I'm from the Bizarro Phathack universe. :)

I knew I'd seen you somewhere before....   ;D

Offline NewbieGute

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2008, 02:03:26 am »
Ok, I tried this but I'm still getting "speak failed" messages.

I "set as admin", "run in compatibility mode", and installed MICrosoft SDK as well.  Did the AT&T speil also.

Any ideas on what else to check for a VISTA x32 Home Premium config?

???

Offline zafdor

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2011, 12:15:24 pm »
Moreover, even on Vista, you must install the Microsoft Speech SDK to get things working.

I also suggest a different method for installing the AT&T voices, which is roughly described in this post: 
http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,1037.msg6729.html#msg6729

Aarg!   I'm at my wits end trying to get voices on my phatbox on Vista.  Hopefully someone is still reading here..  I've read and read, installed and uninstalled and uninstalled ad infinitum and always end up with 'speak failed'.   The installs have all been basically what is said to do in this thread. 

There are perhaps a few clarifications that may help me give a go at another rounds of install.    The hacked AT&T installer, I got it from www.brianjonesphotography.com/phat/ATTvoicehack.msi , is it possible this is specific to the version of PMM you are using.   I have in general been starting with my original Music Manager 1.87, I copied the contents to the hard disk co I could mary the compatibilit w/XP settings?   If so, I suppose the path to follow would be to hack my specific msi when it pops up in the install directory.

There are some later versions of music and media manager at phatnoise.us.   If I use the 'full install' versions, will they include the natural voices?  Tried the same process with them ending in 'speak failed'.

My last effort was to include the Speech SDK, same result.  Is it possible there is some problem with my sound hardware, there are no problems found in device manager and everything seems to be working fine.   Even the MS voices yield the speak failed in PMM.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2011, 06:26:42 am »
I believe the workaround hack is based on the usage of the 'latest' versions of the applications.  They include the additional voices (or at least do when installed on an XP machine).

If you are struggling, why not switch to some software that is designed for Vista / 7, from http://phathackmm.com ? (Beta version is the most recent / stable)

Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)