Author Topic: crackling of sound and cutting out  (Read 5092 times)

Offline tollyboy

crackling of sound and cutting out
« on: April 17, 2011, 01:03:02 pm »
I have a problem with my phat noise in my Seat (vw system ) its in the glove box and when on for over an hour or car left in sun to get warm the sound starts to crackle then it will cut out to radio.If you try to go back to phat noise play you get CD or magazine in radio display or it will come back on but still with crackling to the sound  .Has anyone had this problem I'm thinking of a possible cartridge/hard drive problem .Should i be looking to replace the drive and can anyone recommend a good on to use thanks Al

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
Re: crackling of sound and cutting out
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 11:09:43 am »
I have a problem with my phat noise in my Seat (vw system ) its in the glove box and when on for over an hour or car left in sun to get warm the sound starts to crackle then it will cut out to radio.If you try to go back to phat noise play you get CD or magazine in radio display or it will come back on but still with crackling to the sound  .Has anyone had this problem I'm thinking of a possible cartridge/hard drive problem .Should i be looking to replace the drive and can anyone recommend a good on to use thanks Al

I think you might have a loose or bad cable on the back of the Phatbox, since you're getting problems in the audio (which is generated on the main board from a digital-to-analog converter). A bad cartridge or drive would cause the embedded operating system (Linux) to report an error (somewhere you can't see it), similar to the MS-DOS "General failure reading drive C:" message.