Author Topic: BMW Box died - Found an Audi box for replacement. I have a few questions  (Read 8464 times)

Offline MBW

Hello fellow Phatbox users.

I have a 2004 BMW that has an original 80G phatbox in it with Blitzsafe connector.  Unfortunately, the box gave up the ghost and is no longer working.

Previous to this car, I had an 2001 Audi A6 with the phatbox in it and I was always using the original MM software.  When I picked up the BMW, I just loaded up songs on the DMS from my Music Manager.  I never did any changes to the software because the BMW one was already loaded up.

So now you have the back story, I have a few questions.  First, when the Audi one arrives, can I just pull out the innards and put them in the BMW case so install in the car remains simple?  I think that is a simple swap and only the cases differ, but can someone confirm?

Second, since the new box was loaded with Audi software, I guess I have to purge that and install BMW software.   Since the original software is no longer supported, should I uninstall all my MM software on my computer and reinstall with PhatHack? Then re-program my Phatbox?

I am not real computer savvy, but can call in reinforcements if necessary.  :O)

Thanks in advance,

Mark in UT

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
I have a 2004 BMW that has an original 80G phatbox in it with Blitzsafe connector.  Unfortunately, the box gave up the ghost and is no longer working.

Are you sure it is the Phatbox? The circuit board in the Blitzsafe has an annoying tendancy to shift, which causes a poor connection to the DIN cable coming from the Phatbox. Somewhat less likely are the 3- and 6-pin cables that connect to the car coming loose.

First, when the Audi one arrives, can I just pull out the innards and put them in the BMW case so install in the car remains simple?  I think that is a simple swap and only the cases differ, but can someone confirm?

There are a number of different revisions of the Phatbox, but the two case styles are interchangeable. You should be able to swap with no problem.

Second, since the new box was loaded with Audi software, I guess I have to purge that and install BMW software.   Since the original software is no longer supported, should I uninstall all my MM software on my computer and reinstall with PhatHack? Then re-program my Phatbox?

You'll need to flash the Phatbox with the BMW firmware. The firmware that talks to the particular type of head unit (BMW / Audi / Kenwood / etc.) is stored in flash memory on a secondary microprocessor in the Phatbox.

I'm not sure if the original Music/Media Manager can find the online updates (they were on the old Phatnoise server, and I'm not sure if they are re-hosted in a place where PMM can find them). PhatHack can certainly do it. Since this will be an original DMS, don't check the "install hacked firmware" option. Once you have the new box up and running, you'll probably want to hack it so you can use a different hard drive in the future.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
As Terry says, you can use the PhatHack DMS Tools to update your firmware.

The use of PhatHack Media Manager would be down to personal preference, but is fully supported by me. 

I would advise you use the latest Beta version and NOT v0.9c as the two are worlds apart in terms of stability.  To get the latest Beta you'll need to sign up to the PhatHack Media Manager website (http://phathackmm.com) and then ping me a PM requesting beta access (which is currently not a problem).

I'm almost beginning to think I should give up chasing GraceNote to get the final version out....
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline MBW

I am pretty sure it was the box that died and not the blitzsafe
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 03:59:11 pm »
When testing all the components, it was the slightest tap on the box that would cause the power to fail.  Moving all the cables and blitzsafe were no problem as power was still on.  but the slightest movement of the phatbox and power would cut out.

I really don't need to worry about a larger HD.  The BMW one has 80GB which is plenty for me.  Plus the new one on the way has 20.

I guess I will start the process of converting over to Phathack and preparing my computer now so when it arrives I just need to flash it.

I will be sending a request to get the beta.

Thanks,

Mark in UT

Offline MBW

One more question.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 07:10:53 pm »
Since I already have a DMS that has the BMW firmware on it, do I really have to do the DMS Phathack firmware update?

What if I don't ever bother using the 20GB DMS that is with the Audi and only my 80GB BMW one? 

I am sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is the process of Flashing my Audi box with the BMW Firmware?  I don't have any of the paperwork that goes along with the install of the BMW one, and my first Audi was done in 2004 so I don't remember the steps. 

Do I put in the DMS in the box, then plug in the Box to the car?  I am sure there is a post in here that outlines the steps to take, but I have not been able to find it yet in my searching.  Does anyone have a link to this procedure?

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
You need to reflash the box, but you can force this by placing two files on PHTSYS\ called 'forceupdate' and 'forcesettings'.
You then won't need to update firmware etc on the DMS.

Stick the DMS in the car, turn on the stereo and switch to the Phatbox and the update will start.  The flash process can take anywhere from 7 to 30 minutes (typically 7-15).  You'll notice the Green light flashing rapidly during this time.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)