Author Topic: KenWood NAV - deck - Music keg?  (Read 7455 times)

Offline GrnWEnvy

KenWood NAV - deck - Music keg?
« on: September 25, 2005, 06:58:25 am »
Any recommandations on where to get the best price on a Kenwood NAV unit + the Kenwood deck?
Note: I already have a Music keg.

My job requires for me to be able to travel anywhere that they need me.  I spend a considerable amount of time driving.  Average 200 miles a day, 7 days out of every month.  I started to look over some of Kenwood products to provide me with NAV, MUSIC from a keg and hands free for a cell phone and well I would like get real facts from you.

By the way, Pioneer looks like they have a great product also, but I have not figured out how to adapt the music keg to work with the Pioneer unit.  The old FM modulator trick would work but from what I have read FM modulators tend to produce average sound quality.  

Any information, opinions, experiences from you the experts could be very helpful and greatly appreciated.  

This is a great site.  

Thank you

GrnWEnvy
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 07:03:16 am by GrnWEnvy »

Offline Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Needs to get outside.
Re: KenWood NAV - deck - Music keg?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 12:32:10 pm »
Kenwood 717 (fold out) or  7017 (in dash) can both handle NAV and a keg.  Pretty pricey though.  If you go with the pioneer in dash NAV, you can use the FM modulator to control the Keg, but run a pair of RCAs for the audio - this eliminates the sound quality problem.  Crutchfield probably has the best price.

Offline GrnWEnvy

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 08:24:24 am »
What do you think of the mechanical moving screens lasting over time?  Are they strong and handle the pressure when some one pushes two hard on the screen?

I am thinking that the units that have a mounted screen that does not move would last longer or have less chance of braking.  

Any recommandations on where to purchase these animals?

Wouldn't it be nice to know how these different models compare to Honda's NAV?  

Thank you

Paul

Offline skew

• A few posts under my belt.
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 12:41:32 pm »
I have had no issues with any of the kenwood video units every unit that I have sold are still in service. Some of them are probly 5-6 years old.Also there would be no reason to press hard on the screen you only have to touch the screen not press on it. I have not used any new honda nav units but the kenwood is one of the best navs you can buy. You just can't beat the 12 million poi's when you get into a small town it still has just about every thing. Like for instance where I live the Pioneer nav has 300 poi's, GM DVD has 33, and the kenwood has 3400. But if you live in a big city then most navs do the job just fine its when you goto the little towns is where you will see a huge difference between them.

Offline Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Needs to get outside.
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 02:50:16 pm »
I've seen a few fold out screens give out over time.  If you have kids, I especially wouldn't go that route because they like to press hard on things.

Offline gumbyandpokie999

• A few posts under my belt.
  • PhatHacker
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 01:53:08 pm »
from my personal experiences SonixElectronix on ebay (cheap) or onlinecarstereo.com .