Author Topic: Is there a Phatbox that will work in a 02 Escalade  (Read 3429 times)

Offline todd1010

• Veteran.
  • 2005 Audi S4
Is there a Phatbox that will work in a 02 Escalade
« on: October 06, 2005, 04:01:37 am »
My buddy wants one and he has the stock stereo setup.
todd1010 AT gmail DOT com

Offline dafamous12

• Getting the hang of things.
  • Smurfin On 18 Wheels Across The U.S.A!!
Re: Is there a Phatbox that will work in a 02 Esca
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 04:27:57 am »
As far as I know there is no GM firmware other than the unit that comes in the Envoy. Maybe if you could get ahold of the firmware someone here could modify it but then you would still need pinouts to make a cable. What I have heard is that you can order the factory setup that is an option on Certain GM models.They are suppose to be added as an option in the 06 Tahoe,Denali,And Escalade.That could be another way to go since the interior and the radio still remains unchanged from the 2002 models. I do a lot of installs on these and I order wiring diagrams that also shows any changes from the previous years. I'm curious about this now. I will call my contact at GM parts and get the part number and the cost of the setup. Also did u get my msg about the 250?

Offline snoggle

• A few posts under my belt.
  • 2004 Impala LS + KHD-CX910
Re: Is there a Phatbox that will work in a 02 Esca
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 05:04:28 am »
There may be alterative way to get a Phatbox working in the Escalade. My own setup is a Kenwood Music Keg interfaced directly to the stock GM stereo in my 2004 Chevrolet Impala using a PIE interface. The setup works well, except that the display on the GM head unit is very simple (like D1T15) for disk one, track 15, for example. See the Digital Protocol Converters section at www.pie.net. I believe that vehicle would need the a different interface. I am using the GM12/PC-KNW, and that model year requires a GM9/PC-KNW.

You could also buy and use the Kenwood FM Modulator, and then use a PIE or other GM to Aux input converter and directly connect your PhatBox to the factory system. You would have to find a place to mount the modulator display, but it would give a much better display of your song characteristics.  

Finally, you could change your stock head unit to a Kenwood, but you would need a special box to preserve your warning chimes, which come from the factory sound system in these GM cars. If you remove the factory radio you also loose the ability to customize settings for the automatic door locks, etc. You can still reset the oil life monitor and tire pressure monitor using methods other than the buttons on the stock radio. I belive there are harnesses for these older GM cars that allow you to relocate the radio to preserve the chimes and ability to change the car's configuration.

I have never seen the genuine GM Phatbox. I suspect it will be expensive.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2005, 05:09:50 am by snoggle »