Author Topic: n00b question for BMW install (2003 325i wagon)  (Read 5253 times)

Offline bdog

n00b question for BMW install (2003 325i wagon)
« on: June 24, 2011, 07:24:02 pm »
Hi, I'm looking to set up my BMW 2003 325iT with a PhatBox; not entirely clear on the hardware. As I currently understand it, I need the player, cartridge, cradle, and some kind of cabling to attach the player to the iBus.

First question: is the cabling specific to the iBus, or do I need cabling that is specific to the player unit AND the iBus? In other words, are there different ports on the player depending on the car it was destined for (eg, Audi/VW as opposed to BMW) which will also factor into the cabling?

Second question: is there any version/revisioning of the player that I should be looking for in particular?

thx,

brad

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
Re: n00b question for BMW install (2003 325i wagon)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 09:35:13 am »
Hi, I'm looking to set up my BMW 2003 325iT with a PhatBox; not entirely clear on the hardware. As I currently understand it, I need the player, cartridge, cradle, and some kind of cabling to attach the player to the iBus.

First question: is the cabling specific to the iBus, or do I need cabling that is specific to the player unit AND the iBus? In other words, are there different ports on the player depending on the car it was destined for (eg, Audi/VW as opposed to BMW) which will also factor into the cabling?

You'll need a modified Blitzsafe adapter and a cable between the Phatbox and the Blitzsafe. Pinouts, etc. should be in the wiki here.

Second question: is there any version/revisioning of the player that I should be looking for in particular?

Any Phatbox other than the Ford or GM one should work fine. BMW was one of the first cars supported by the Phatbox. Some newer cars need a Phatbox with additional signals on the connector.

A BMW with the DSP audio option (which you don't have) is helped by the version of the Phatbox that has RCA audio jacks as well as audio on the main cable, though that isn't essential (you can add the jacks or pick the audio out of the main cable and feed it to the DSP adapter).