Author Topic: Help with patching problem please.  (Read 8530 times)

Offline Bane

• A few posts under my belt.
Help with patching problem please.
« on: June 26, 2006, 01:43:40 pm »
I used the bootable cdrom to copy my VW phatbox DMS (20gig) to a new 60Gb DMS. I was able to put the original DMS into my phatbox and I got the "your unit has been patched message," The new DMS didn't boot, so I tried a reset of my kenwood headunit, now it gives me a message that says "disc ch," then goes to AUX1, when it used to say HDD EXT. Any ideas? Can this be fixed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: Help with patching problem please.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 06:36:19 pm »
search for and try Genisis' manual method for vw phatboxes

Offline Bane

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 06:39:05 pm »
search for and try Genisis' manual method for vw phatboxes

My original DMS is not working. Don't I still need a working DMS to copy from?

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 08:30:16 pm »
if the patch failed to complete, as it frequently does on the VW boxes, and your original DMS is broken, without acces to a working DMS you are likely screwed

its possible that if your original dms works in the PC but not the phatbox that you need to corrupt the ramdisk.sig (search for instructions) and re attempt the patch.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 10:24:32 pm »
By what you've posted on other posts, I get the impression your box is already patched and you just need to wait for the firmware to complete being updated

Offline Bane

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 02:08:01 pm »
The corrupted ramdisk file was apparently the problem with my original DMS. It now works fine. I will try using the new DMS again tonight. Hopefully I have better luck this time.

For my second unit, is the following procedure the correct way to go about it? It is also a VW unit.

1. Flash to music keg.
2. Patch original DMS again and load into second phatnoise unit to patch it.
3. Try new DMS

« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 02:11:16 pm by Bane »

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 06:26:05 pm »
That sounds about right... the original DMS generally keeps trying to flash until changed so you may not need to do anything to it.   If your ramdisk.sig is corrupted you would probably need to switch that back tho...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 06:27:44 pm by sbingner »

Offline Bane

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 06:28:58 pm »
That sounds about right... the original DMS generally keeps trying to flash until changed so you may not need to do anything to it.   If your ramdisk.sig is corrupted you would probably need to switch that back tho...

Just to make sure. I do have to run the patch on my second phatnoise unit? The patch is not already on the new DMS?

Thanks

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 08:47:55 pm »
The patch is a program that is run from a signed DMS.   You cannot boot an unsigned DMS until your PhatBox is patched by that program, so it would do no good for it to be on the new DMS.

Also, it'd be a bit annoying for it to say 'your phatbox is now patched' whenever you turned on your car ;)

Offline Bane

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 09:10:41 pm »
The patch is a program that is run from a signed DMS.   You cannot boot an unsigned DMS until your PhatBox is patched by that program, so it would do no good for it to be on the new DMS.

Also, it'd be a bit annoying for it to say 'your phatbox is now patched' whenever you turned on your car ;)

Can I run the firmware update to convert my phatnoise to a keg and the patch at the same time?

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 10:29:19 pm »
yea, if you put in the DMS with the patch loaded... as long as it has the kenwood firmware, it will first see that the firmware is different and update it, then it will load the patch when it powers on after updating the CPLD firmware

Offline Bane

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2006, 02:15:34 am »
Ok, both phatboxes are converted to Music kegs. My main unit is patched. When I put in the New DMS, it says loading for a few seconds then says eject. Does this mean I need to try copying the drive again?

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2006, 06:45:00 am »
I've heard so many different things, I really have NO idea what that means.

Just follow the previous instructions and you should be fine, or get somebody else to do it for you perhaps
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 06:46:14 am by sbingner »

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2006, 07:37:49 am »
Ok, both phatboxes are converted to Music kegs. My main unit is patched. When I put in the New DMS, it says loading for a few seconds then says eject. Does this mean I need to try copying the drive again?

This happened to me after I managed to patch my Keg.  You should find that if you cycle through the sources on your head unit and come back to the Keg that it will then work normally.

When I had this problem, I had only about 20 songs or so on a new 100GB DMS.  Strange as it may seem, this worked for me:
1. Wipe the DMS and reformat using PMM (you could also use the hack CD to reformat)
2. Use Music Manager (not Media Manager) to load up 40GB of music
3. Use Music Manager to rebuild the DMS database ("Fix DMS database" under "hardware options")

Since doing this, I have never had the "load/eject" problem again.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS