Author Topic: Playlist / Database management (@Vince, @ryanmc)  (Read 8400 times)

Offline para

• Veteran.
Playlist / Database management (@Vince, @ryanmc)
« on: March 27, 2005, 12:14:54 am »
Ok guys,
although this issue has already been discussed to some length (1,2,3) in the official forum I'd like to raise this over here once again! I believe that this is THE big disadvantage of th PB apart from the DMS problem... If the official forum is not the place for our two members "Vince" and "ryanmc" maybe they discuss this topic more openly over here ::) Ok guys, there you go - don't let us down with that...

TIA, Para

Offline Vince

• Still under NDA!
Re: Playlist / Database management (@Vince, @ryanm
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 01:48:02 am »
The playlists/database format is decently well documented with example code available.  If there's any questions about how that works, I'd be glad to answer them.  If you're looking for enhancements in the PhatBox code for other ways of browsing the music, while I can't say for sure, I think it's highly unlikely that will change.

Offline para

• Veteran.
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 12:18:53 pm »
That's sad to hear as Phatnoise has already implemented that feature in the home media player...
Why do you think it's unlikely to change? I mean why not improve a good product to get even better. IMHO not having a display to navigate requires other ways to quickly find the songs you want. And you've to agree that the requested feature would be really useful if not even needed as many users do have problems with the current design - and proposed good solutions.

Offline Vince

• Still under NDA!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 08:59:26 pm »
As noted elsewhere, I'm no longer at PhatNoise, so this is all purely speculation on my part.

If you approach this from the mindset of PhatNoise, with limited resources, and the goal of selling as many boxes as possible, it just doesn't make sense to put the large amount of effort into new features for power users that make the box more complicated to use for average users (like the guys at the car company who decide whether or not to partner with PhatNoise!).  There's a long list of things that should be done first, like adding support for protected WMA files, and video/game playback.

Offline para

• Veteran.
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 09:27:44 pm »
Of course I understand that point but the latest official statement was that there's no work in progress on the PB at the moment. Therefore I was asking to use the precious time for some useful enhancements 8) If they're really busy then I'll perfectly agree with you...

At this point we see that Phatnoise needs to communicate their roadmap for customers to see where the journeys goes. Ok, even this might be hard in some cases while trying not to tell any competitors too much of their ideas but have a look at AMD/Intel. Transparency always attracts possible future customers as they get an impression what's going on -  and that often helps them planning their own roadmap.

Thanks, Para
« Last Edit: March 27, 2005, 09:30:08 pm by para »

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 12:34:33 am »
Maybe they should offer a developer program with an NDA or something to combat some of the problems you listed.  Of course if they are really swamped and dont have time to support the legacy systems (but still sell them) I doubt they have time to put together a program like that. :(

Where'd you end up at anyhow Vince?  I didn't know you left phatnoise, I suppose thats why I stopped seeing new posts from you on the forums.

Offline Firefox

• Needs to get outside.
  • Kenwood 710 Keg 80GB ;-)
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 10:43:08 pm »
Where'd you end up at anyhow Vince?  I didn't know you left phatnoise, I suppose thats why I stopped seeing new posts from you on the forums.

Try using a Google search...  ;D
« Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 10:45:03 pm by Firefox »

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 11:02:16 pm »
gee, nothing on the first page of google for Vince Busam that says anything about where he might have ended up.  I dont make it a habit of digging around in google for peoples personal information Firefox.

Normally searching is something I am quite handy at. :P

Offline AndyMan

• Getting the hang of things.
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 11:52:31 pm »
Vince's resume says he's gone to google...

http://sixpak.org/vince/resume.html

Offline Firefox

• Needs to get outside.
  • Kenwood 710 Keg 80GB ;-)
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2005, 06:35:25 am »
Vince's resume says he's gone to google...

http://sixpak.org/vince/resume.html

That was the whole point of me saying use Google to find him  :P