Author Topic: VW Phatbox into a Porsche ?  (Read 4271 times)

Offline albertbug

• PhatHacker
VW Phatbox into a Porsche ?
« on: December 06, 2005, 02:27:02 pm »
Hi,
I recently traded a VW for a Porsche Boxster, and prior to the trade, I removed my VW Phatbox in the hope that I could install it into the Porsche. Is it possible to install the VW unit into the Boxster, and if so, how ???

Many thanks

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: VW Phatbox into a Porsche ?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 08:45:35 pm »
I think you'll need the right cable (provided your head unit is supported) to connect to the stereo and you'll have to flash the phatbox with the porsche code.

Offline albertbug

• PhatHacker
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 09:30:37 pm »
I know that the headunit is supported (as Phatnoise do sell a Phatbox for the headunit). However, I have been informed that they do not sell the cable without the hardware :-(

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 10:37:52 am »
I can't believe that Phatnoise, who make the cables, won't sell you a Porsche cable even at their usual exorbitant prices.  What happens to a user whose cable is damaged for some reason?  "Sorry, you have to buy a completely new system."  I would try again with them and be insistent.  If you succeed they'll probably charge you $150 for the cable.

I don't think Porsche sells the Phatbox OEM, so you won't find any parts from the dealers.  So the other option is to make your own cable.  You'll still have to find an appropriate Porsche CD changer cable and splice the end that plugs into the head unit with the Phatbox end from your VW cable.  AND you have to know the pinouts, with which maybe the more tech savvy people in this forum can help.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline LloydDobler

• Getting the hang of things.
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 05:33:58 pm »
I can't believe that Phatnoise, who make the cables, won't sell you a Porsche cable even at their usual exorbitant prices.  What happens to a user whose cable is damaged for some reason?  

My understanding is that they keep records, or you have to show them your receipt, something like that.  Since they are the only source they can control who gets what.  So they will only sell a replacement cable to someone who can document that they bought the Porsche box new.

The real trick would be to find someone who bought a Porsche box and have them buy the cable for you.  

These policies are the result of pricing the same product at different levels for different customers.  Each car brand was allowed to price it however they wanted.  It's sad however when companies do this, they don't ever quite realize how many people they are alienating, and how many more units they could have sold with customer friendly rather than corporation friendly practices.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 05:35:51 pm by LloydDobler »