Author Topic: What should this forum do now?  (Read 76725 times)

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: What should this forum do now?
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2005, 08:04:34 am »
2. VOIT that would work within a playlist against a song title. Would be helpful when in random mode.

huh?

Offline dafamous12

• Getting the hang of things.
  • Smurfin On 18 Wheels Across The U.S.A!!
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2005, 04:04:51 am »
I would like to see phat 4x with more features.Also I would like to see this community stay together forever! I love you guys :'(

Offline jamesandruth

« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2005, 04:27:16 am »
I would make this forum pretty much an info page.  

There needs to be more places to say "Cool, it worked or "Oops it didn't".

The truly cool thing would be to have open source Phatbox firmware.

Offline scotty

« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2005, 09:36:08 am »
A small external text display would be nice. Currently I have to interrupt the playback by pressing "scan" to find out who the artist/track is.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 12:52:16 pm by admin »

admin

« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2005, 12:54:16 pm »
You can have that if you get/have a Keg.  I used to have it myself.

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2005, 03:50:59 pm »
Now that I have got a hacked box and loads of CDs loaded up, high on my list of "would like to have" items is nested navigation of the database.

Currently once an album, artist or genre is selected, then the forward or previous commends revert to stepping tracks.  If you have many CDs by the same artist, or within a genre then this is a pain.  I would like to have a way to select a genre, and then make that selection stick while I then select from the albums within that genre.  Maybe then make that stick and slect a track from within that album.  

Or I may want to select an artist, and then after listening for a while, choose another album from the same artist.  Currently pressing next will always select the next track, or if in artist mode, then the next artist.  But as far as I can see there is no short way to select the next album by the same artist.  Playlists help a little, but they are not ideal for this, really being track based.

I wondered if this was set up in phatbox.ini but is does not appear to be, so I assume that the underlying menu structure is at a lower level (is this known / hackable?), and that phatbox.ini just adapts this to the different head units.

One thing is for sure - there are plenty of ideas from the forum memers.  The challenge will be to determine which are practical, which are just pipe-dreams, and which we might actually try to accomplish.

Les.

Offline indigo

« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2005, 01:08:02 am »
A Backup feature.
As long as I understand, the hack requires the old, good DMS to copy from it the information that will written in the new one. Well: Is it possible to keep that read information? Because if (like me) you dont have the old DMS hard disk anymore and the new one one day quits....
Maybe the solution is already around. Any advice?

Offline A543

• Veteran.
« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2005, 03:06:55 am »
I think the hack CD/floppy routine creates a backup of the data it copies from the original DMS to the new drive. That backup would be on the original DMS or course, but if you don't have it anymore, you could just use a low level disk utility like DD to get a copy of the data off of your new drive.
Also, the earlier versions of the hack only disabled the hard drive sig check and I think the rc.sh sig check.  The data in the "hidden" area of the DMS was still needed during booting for even more checks, and that is what is copied from the original DMS to the new drive. Newer versions of the hack go deeper and seem to disable all of the checks that require that hidden data, so it appears that none of that hidden data is needed at all anymore, although AFAIK, this hasn't actually been completely verified yet, but the big brains are working on it.  ;)

Offline stanmancan

• PhatHacker
« Reply #68 on: December 24, 2005, 06:43:56 am »
Here are some of my ideas:

Circuit redesign for video addition to music keg
full os for music keg
high resolution audio support (ie.. flac @ 24bit and from 48khz to 192khz)
dvd audio (mlp support) with or without watermark identifier (doesn't matter)
wavepak support, ape support,
vob support
ide hard drive support

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2005, 08:45:40 pm »
Here are some of my ideas:

Circuit redesign for video addition to music keg
full os for music keg
high resolution audio support (ie.. flac @ 24bit and from 48khz to 192khz)
dvd audio (mlp support) with or without watermark identifier (doesn't matter)
wavepak support, ape support,
vob support
ide hard drive support

most of those are not possible due to the low speed of the processor but....

You can already do IDE Hard drives..  that's what the DMS is, if you mean 3.5" drives, you should be able to buy an adaptor to make that work as well... the only difference is in the size of the cable

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #70 on: December 25, 2005, 03:36:23 pm »
I think the hack CD/floppy routine creates a backup of the data it copies from the original DMS to the new drive. That backup would be on the original DMS or course, but if you don't have it anymore, you could just use a low level disk utility like DD to get a copy of the data off of your new drive.
Also, the earlier versions of the hack only disabled the hard drive sig check and I think the rc.sh sig check.  The data in the "hidden" area of the DMS was still needed during booting for even more checks, and that is what is copied from the original DMS to the new drive. Newer versions of the hack go deeper and seem to disable all of the checks that require that hidden data, so it appears that none of that hidden data is needed at all anymore, although AFAIK, this hasn't actually been completely verified yet, but the big brains are working on it.  ;)

The data is backed up in the backup folder of the original DMS (including the DD data of the private area of the drive that we use to make new DMS's with.. thats how that process works if I recall correctly.  but I may have removed that in a newer script, i forget.  check in that folder, it SHOULD be there.)  If it isn't I'll readd it to my script.  You can also make your own backup using the windows version of DD linked in the DMS hack forum and following the dd instructions for the method we posted prior to the hack CD.. its on the wiki.

Data has to be there, the structure has to be right but I don't think we can use any drive layout yet.  Sam?

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2005, 09:58:26 am »
Data has to be there, the structure has to be right but I don't think we can use any drive layout yet.  Sam?

I can boot my boxes without the signature and with the partition starting on the first available block... I also have two audi phatboxes now, and I'll try it with the too.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2005, 03:12:06 pm »
Sam, the issue here is that we've distributed 4 patchers since we started.. so I think some people may not be able to turn off all those checks yet.  I know one of my kegs was done with just the 0.2 patcher and it requires the sig to be there.. and the sig has to be valid, you can't change any data inside it.  the serial numbers dont have to match though.

So we need to find out if the latest patcher will disable that for everyone and then release an updated patch that removes the DMS copy method, which would rock!

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #73 on: December 26, 2005, 08:01:57 pm »
All we need to do is run the latest patcher...  it won't hurt anything