Author Topic: Phatbox from BMW...can I install in Audi?  (Read 13447 times)

Offline spicolte

• A few posts under my belt.
Phatbox from BMW...can I install in Audi?
« on: March 01, 2008, 06:24:03 pm »
I have a phatbox I purchased for a BMW that I would now like to use in my 2000 Audi A6 Wagon.  I found a cable on ebay from VW of West Hartford, that they tell me will connect the phatbox to my CD wiring harness in my Audi.

My concern is that the phatboxes I see on ebay for sale for Audi's look much different than the phatbox I have.  I would think mine simply looks different, because it was one of the first models produced.  If you look on phatnoise's home page, the picture you see for the phatbox link, is the model I have. (I tried to find another picture on-line, but couldn't).  All of the Audi phatboxes I see on ebay, have large round holes on the outside, as opposed to the "ridges" I have on mine.  Mine looks smaller also.

Is this just an appearance thing?  Will my older phatbox work with my Audi?

Also, I'm not even sure the phatnoise will work with my 2000 Audi A6.  From doing research, it looks like the 2000 A6 is supported, given it has the Symphony radio head.  My deck also has a CD slot, and a cassette slot.  I've never looked in the cargo area for a CD changer cable.  (The car is currently about 500 miles away from me right now, so I can't go "check" it out...hence my question.)

Will my year Audi, and model (A6 Avant Quattro wagon) support a phatbox?  And is this one cable all I need?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Michael

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
Re: Phatbox from BMW...can I install in Audi?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 08:56:47 pm »
My concern is that the phatboxes I see on ebay for sale for Audi's look much different than the phatbox I have.  I would think mine simply looks different, because it was one of the first models produced.  If you look on phatnoise's home page, the picture you see for the phatbox link, is the model I have. (I tried to find another picture on-line, but couldn't).  All of the Audi phatboxes I see on ebay, have large round holes on the outside, as opposed to the "ridges" I have on mine.  Mine looks smaller also.

This is purely cosmetic. The PhatBox and Kenwood Keg were delivered in a variety of packaging. Both the BMW and VW/Audi versions only need the early rev of the hardware. Some applications (like the Toyota version) need a newer rev which provides additional control signals. There's also one version (Ford, I think) that has completely different hardware.

Sorry, I can't comment on the compatibility of the Phatbox w/ your model Audi.

Offline spicolte

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 10:15:58 pm »
Both the BMW and VW/Audi versions only need the early rev of the hardware. Some applications (like the Toyota version) need a newer rev which provides additional control signals. There's also one version (Ford, I think) that has completely different hardware.
[/color]

Thanks for your reply.  It seems it doesn't matter what the phatbox looks like physically.

I do have one question though: 

What do you mean by revisions?  Do you mean some sort of software upgrade?

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 03:50:14 am »
I do have one question though: 

What do you mean by revisions?  Do you mean some sort of software upgrade?

No, hardware revision. As far as I know, there were 4 revisions:

o Semi-prototype red boxes
o Original release hardware (710 Keg and some Phatboxes)
o Original release hadware w/ better quality DAC (910 Keg, VW/Audi units, BMW units, and some other ones)
o Updated hardware w/ additional control lines (Toyota units, maybe some others)

Then there's the Ford one, which is completely different.

Offline pw2112

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 07:02:14 am »
Hi Michael, whilst i realise i am 6 months too late, i have the opposite problem to you. My Phatbox is for an Audi/VW and my car is a 1994 BMW 740i. If you have not sorted your problem out i have a VW lead, but need a BMW lead. Would you like to exchange leads or if you are sorted do you still have the BMW lead so i can buy it off you? Or can you (or anybody else) advise me where to get a BMW lead from, or is there another way to connect my Phatbox, ie:- a bespoke wiring job maybe!
  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated   Paul

Offline robbyb413

• PhatHacker
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 01:14:51 pm »
If it's just a BMW lead you're looking for I see a thread in the classifieds advertising them as available, did you check with that guy first?
http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,1487.0.html

Offline spicolte

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 09:52:18 pm »
Paul,

I never had the chance to find out, I never acquired the Audi. (It was a friend's car, was going to buy it, but it never panned out).  I think the post right above mine will be helpful for you.  There are some sharp folks here...just post a general question for what you need, and I guarantee you will find your answer. 

Sorry I couldn't help more.

Best of luck to you.

Michael

Offline mprusin

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 01:52:32 pm »
New to site - was wondering if you ever resolved your Audi connection problem. I just bought a 2011 Q5 and have a phatbox that i originally had in a 2004 VW toureg then bought a connection to convert to BMW when i switched cars. I need to find out if there is a cd changer cable anywhere in the Audi i could connect the phatbox too. did you ever find an Audi lead?

Thanks