Author Topic: Connect a Music Keg to Audi Concert HU  (Read 12825 times)

Offline e1sean

Connect a Music Keg to Audi Concert HU
« on: October 02, 2011, 08:59:47 pm »
I've been a fan of the Music Keg pretty much since it came out in the UK and when I needed to hack it to increase capacity at a reasonable price the forum was a great help.  However after over 10 years my Kenwood head unit has given up the ghost, so I rescued my Concert head unit from the loft, which came with my late model 2000 Audi A4 and thought, I'd save myself some cash and return the original look to my car by reinstalling it.  I thought all I need is a converter from Kenwood CD Changer 13-pin cable to Audi CD Changer cable and update the firmware on my Keg.  However when I looked for a converter all I found was the following:

http://www.addacdchanger.co.uk/CD_Products/CD_Changer_Interfaces/Audi_CD_Changer_Interface_Adaptor/Interface_Adaptor_1/Audi_A2-A3-A4-A6-A8-TT_CD_Changer_Interface_Adaptor_1_%28Kenwood%29

http://www.auto-connect.co.uk/Audi.html(AUD02KEN)

My inexpensive option suddenly became quite pricey.  I guess these products are for CD changers that don't have their own firmware this need hardware interfaces but I'd thought the Keg would be able to avoid that.

Does anyone have experience of wiring a Kenwood Music Keg to Audi Concert Head Unit?  Or does anyone know what I need to do to get my Keg connected to my head unit again???

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Re: Connect a Music Keg to Audi Concert HU
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 03:21:57 pm »
Too bad no one with an Audi installation has replied, but this forum doesn't see a lot of action these days.  Some of us still check in from time to time.  I do not have an Audi, but maybe I can steer you in the right direction.

You can still download Audi installation guides, including for your model A4, here:  http://www.phatnoise.com/audi/installation_guides.htm

According to the A4 guide, the cables you need depend on whether or not your car is already equipped with a factory CD changer harness.  If it is not, you need the wiring harness part number 4B0 051 735B.  In either case, you will need the Phatbox cable part number 000 051 592A.

At least according to the part numbers, the cables you found are not the right ones.  If you google the part numbers above, you will find some suppliers for whichever cable(s) you need, at much lower prices.  Unfortunately, the suppliers I found were all in the U.S. and had very high shipping to the UK, but you may find some UK sources if you check further.  Also check eBay.

OK, you didn't ask, but personally I would just skip the rewiring hassle and get another Kenwood head unit, having in mind that you will lose text display on the Audi head unit.  Whatever you decide, good luck.  I hope this has helped.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 02:10:22 am »
According to the A4 guide, the cables you need depend on whether or not your car is already equipped with a factory CD changer harness.  If it is not, you need the wiring harness part number 4B0 051 735B.  In either case, you will need the Phatbox cable part number 000 051 592A.

At least according to the part numbers, the cables you found are not the right ones.  If you google the part numbers above, you will find some suppliers for whichever cable(s) you need, at much lower prices.  Unfortunately, the suppliers I found were all in the U.S. and had very high shipping to the UK, but you may find some UK sources if you check further.

The VW / Audi Phatboxes were unusual in that they were an official dealer option on those cars. It may be that the cable(s) are orderable at your local dealer. The price will probably be higher, but at least you can save the shipping from the US.

Does anybody know if the VW and Audi Phatboxes use the same cable? I have a bunch of complete Phatbox kits I got during the $100 blowout sale when VW / Audi dropped it. They're all VW, but if they use the same cable, you can have one of mine for just the shipping cost.

Offline e1sean

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 04:09:49 pm »
Mark,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction those installation guide were just the info I needed to work out what lead I need.  Following quite a bit of research it appears from 1998 Audi's were fitted with the CD changer leads regardless of if they were fitted with the changer.  I've spent the weekend tracing the lead from the head unit to the changer and discover the end of the lead was less than 30cms from the music keg!!!

Terry,

I need a 000 051 592A cable to complete the connection and given the distinct lack of them on the internet your my only hope.  If you have a complete VW installation kit I'd be very interested in buying one and paypaling you the postage would you message me on how much you'd want and how to sent the money to you?

Thanks once again

Sean