Author Topic: Missing albums  (Read 9162 times)

Offline ashok77

• PhatHacker
Missing albums
« on: April 27, 2011, 03:02:01 am »
Hey everyone,

Glad to see this message aboard is still alive and kicking.

Not sure where I should begin but here it goes…

I’ve had my PhatBox for over 5 yrs and have loved it. I did the hack and have a 100gb DMS now that has been working perfectly. I was a PC user and used PMM to transfer all my music over. Other then a few issues it worked well enough. I’ve since cleaned out all the PC’s and am purely a Mac household now. I was delighted to find PhatMac and it seems to do the trick however my issue now is that for some reason I’m suddenly missing a bunch of albums and the phatbox is operating a little strange.

This is a little long winded but here it what is going on and what I have done so far.

So to begin I’ll explain how I found out I was having issues. With the change over to PhatMac I decided to reload the DMS with all my music as it had been a long time since I updated it. I cleared out all the old songs and after reading the manual again I came across this “The PhatBox can handle as many as 9999 separate Disc numbers, with up to 9999 songs per Disc number. The total number of songs on the DMS Cartridge must not exceed 30,000.” I decided to create 3 playlists with 6,000 songs in one disc/playlist, 4,449 in the next and one playlist with just my top fifty. So far so good, PhatMac loaded all the speech files (including track names) and all the songs.

When I got in the car and skipped to Kanye it started to play the first song/intro from College Dropout. When I push 3 to have the voice prompt tell me the album, the PhatBox pauses and then tells me the album is the first artists’ album (Sing the Sorrow by AFI) and starts playing the first AFI song. The next thing I tried was going back to the artist Kanye and tried switching albums. When I do this the next album that the PhatBox announces is the next artists album, not another Kanye album but when I go back it does tell me 808’s but College Dropout doesn’t come up at all even though that is the first song that get’s played when I got to Kanye via the artist search.

Now for what I’ve done.

I have removed the songs from itunes, re-encoded them (to meet the phatbox specs) and added them back to itunes as part of my troubleshooting. The next thing I did was clear all the songs and just added this one particular artist (kanye west) and the 5 albums to see if there was anything specific about the albums that caused the issue. This worked fine, I was able to navigate all the albums easily.

Next I removed all the discs/playlists and created just one with 9,999 songs (which included all the Kanye albums). Tried this and get the original issue.

Oh and originally when I was using PMM all the albums were there (total song count would have been just under 9,999).

With the SnowLeopard update I’ve had to get an external enclosure to update the drive so I have to remove the drive each time to update so I’m trying not reattach the drive to many times.

Is this a PhatMac issue? Is there something simple I am missing? Songs are encoded properly and show up when they are the only albums but when I add Phatbox seems to lose them. From what I can tell it's only these albums.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Offline ashok77

• PhatHacker
Re: Missing albums
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 05:35:30 pm »
anyone? anything?  ???

bump

Offline ashok77

• PhatHacker
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 12:44:12 am »
Okay, so i figured something else out today. I added only 5 artists (each with at least 1 album) and the 5 kanye west albums. The DMS was wiped, purged and all voice files removed. Loaded the music into one disc and Phatmac copied everything over. Hopped in the car and sure enough i had the same issue. First song plays from College Dropout but if i try to change albums it just goes to the next artist (instead of the next Kanye album) and if go back only 808's is listed or if i press 3 to have the phatbox speak the name of the album it goes to the first artist and starts playing from the very beginning. I did find that all the songs are actually on the phatbox though. I can't switch albums but if i skip to song 62 it's All of Lights from the 4th album in the kanye list (My beautiful dark...).

So my question now is why are the albums not being listed when there is more then one artist? is it some type of corruption? is there a way to reset the DMS using PhatMac? I feel like i'm so close and it has to be something simple.

Anyone with any thoughts? Please!

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 06:29:57 am »
Sorry, but I'm guessing this is a bug somewhere in PhatMac and it's not generating the correct files - or - is exposing an existing bug in the PhatBox that will need to be worked around.

I can only suggest you get in touch with the author.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline ashok77

• PhatHacker
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 10:30:54 pm »
thanks for the advice

i emailed Cameron at the beginning of May. Does he still work on PhatMac? I haven't received a response in over a month.