Author Topic: PhatNoise Media/Music Manager Firmware Update News  (Read 24699 times)

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
PhatNoise Media/Music Manager Firmware Update News
« on: November 11, 2011, 12:29:59 pm »
Hi all,

It's amazing how things in the PhatNoise community seem to come all at once!  News of former PhatNoise founders, and our very own news which I think is potentially a big step 'forward' in maintaining support for our beloved old PhatNoise products!

sbingner and I have been working the past few days on establishing whether or not we could re-enable that PhatNoise software's firmware update process, having owned the dailyphat.com domain for some time now.  Having slept on it, things came to us in a dream, and astonishingly as of late this morning PhatNoise Media Manager (and therefore by association Music Manager) will now automagically re-enable the firmware update process!

Now, we have to admit, that we've not pushed buttons and actually attempted to load firmware (or at least I haven't) but if at any point someone wants to give it a go, then we'd love to hear the results!

There are a few things to point out:

1.  This process works from the same file as used by the DMS Tools (who'd have thought, that after all this time, the answer to the question was under our very noses!).  This file is NOT the original file hosted on the PhatNoise servers, but a very crude re-build of it that I had put together from analyzing 'current_setup.xml'.  We do not know if there'll be any ill-effects from this on the operation of the PhatNoise software itself. 

2. No, this doesn't mean you can use the software to re-install your PhatNoise bought and paid-for plugins.  We have no plans to enable that process.

3. No, this process will not help you recover a DMS that has had the special signature wiped as a result of partitioning!

Thanks ultimately goes to sbingner for doing the grunt of the work!
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline g60racer

• A few posts under my belt.
Re: PhatNoise Media/Music Manager Firmware Update News
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 04:50:55 pm »
Forgive my noobish question, but what would be the benefit of updating the firmware?

Offline acfnews

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 12:55:56 pm »
With the original Phatnoise Media Manager i am able to see the updates, however, i seem to be missing the Volkswagen ranges ?
I believe these are similar to Audi's, but at least with different descriptions ?

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 06:43:17 am »
Forgive my noobish question, but what would be the benefit of updating the firmware?

In general, if there's nothing wrong with your DMS - then you'll have no need to fix it.  Generally firmware updates resolved particular issues with head unit support, and the odd bug in controlling the Phatbox.  Unless your box is still new out of factory, or needs re-programming for use with a different head unit, you are not likely to need to update the firmware.

These days of course we have the DMS Tools which can do this for you too and is probably more lightweight, but this now gives people an alternative method of switching firmware.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 06:44:21 am »
With the original Phatnoise Media Manager i am able to see the updates, however, i seem to be missing the Volkswagen ranges ?
I believe these are similar to Audi's, but at least with different descriptions ?

We'll have a look into that as soon as we can.