Author Topic: Looking for Keg KHD-CX910  (Read 12020 times)

Offline galileofigaro

• A few posts under my belt.
Looking for Keg KHD-CX910
« on: April 27, 2012, 01:33:43 pm »
Hello,

I looking for to buy a Kenwood Music Keg KHD-CX910, only need the Keg with cartridge and Kenwood Wire.

Thanks

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Re: Looking for Keg KHD-CX910
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 02:57:48 pm »
I don't know if any sellers will turn up here, but a 910 occasionally pops up for sale on eBay.  Failing that, just google around and you might get lucky. I can't vouch for it, but I did find a listing for one on Craigslist: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/ele/2929507938.html

Good luck!
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline galileofigaro

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 03:17:13 pm »
Thank you for answer me, i tried to bid for this Music Keg in Ebay but the seller donīt send to Spain.
How is better? (sound quality) KHD-CX910 or IPod 6š Generation?

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 07:51:17 pm »
I wouldn't know exactly, but since the Keg and iPod both support high bitrate lossy files as well as lossless formats, they are probably even in terms of sound quality. That will ultimately depend more upon your head unit/amplifier and speaker setup.  But I can tell you for sure, using the Keg with Voice Index On Tap (VIOT), it is infinitely easier to navigate through your music collection than any iPod interface of which I know, even better if connected to a Kenwood head unit with text display.  You also have more storage capacity with the Keg, up to 320GB, versus 160GB on an iPod Classic.

Personally, I use a combination of the Keg for music, with an iPod for video, connected to a Kenwood DVD head unit with display...

Offline galileofigaro

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 08:00:24 pm »
What Kenwood model you use, because today any Kenwood DVD screen have CD changer controller

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 11:47:33 pm »
What Kenwood model you use, because today any Kenwood DVD screen have CD changer controller

I have the DNX7200, which is from 2007, and I am also very pleased with it. Good that you asked this question, though, because there was some discussion on this site and it was determined that only 2007 and older Kenwood units have the correct 5L bus connector to be directly compatible with the Keg, while some later models could apparently be made to work with the Keg via a Kenwood accessory switch.  You should read that thread here: http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,2127.20.html

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 06:28:22 am »
You don't have to explicitly buy a Kenwood Keg, a VW/Audi box will do the same job with the right firmware loaded onto it.  (My mate bought one of these and attached it to a Kenwood Head Unit with no problems).  Unfortunately I forgot if it was an Audi or VW one, but I suspect most of the boxes you can get will run the Kenwood Firmware / features.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 04:07:24 pm »
VorTechS is of course right, an Audi/VW Phatbox will work as part of a Kenwood setup with the right firmware, and they are more commonly and cheaply available. It just may be more difficult now to source the Kenwood Keg cable, which is required. But lots of people run these setups with no problems. (I just thought the OP was specifically interested in the CX910, with its higher-end DAC.)

Offline galileofigaro

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 06:54:21 pm »
Right, the 910 have a 24 Bits converter, the 710 only 16, the sound is much more accurate and clear with high volume, I have the 710 a lot of time, with a Kenwood XXV-01 (A excellent headunid, a beast) and the nusic in in MP 320Kb Is more clear and definiton in the CD than this music keg.

Markbowen, I saw the specification of DNX-7200 is a really really great head unit,  the last high quality kenwoodīs headunits because since 2008 at now the news 2din DVD donīt have CD changer Port  and, in general, the headunit donīt have the "old school" quality. Kenwood donīt make now great headunits like XXV-01, XXV-05, KDC-W707..........

Iīm very interesting to get a DNX-7200 but i donīt know the look to my MX 5 NA because the screen is too much out to the decorative frame, not is "In line" with the dasboard. Can you say me, if you can, the deep of the decorative frame, and the deep to decorative frame plus screen? Thanks

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 02:18:42 pm »
Iīm very interesting to get a DNX-7200 but i donīt know the look to my MX 5 NA because the screen is too much out to the decorative frame, not is "In line" with the dasboard. Can you say me, if you can, the deep of the decorative frame, and the deep to decorative frame plus screen? Thanks

If I understand you correctly, you mean how does the frame stick out of the dashboard. I guess it will depend on your particular car, but in my Hyundai Tucson the frame sticks out only about .75 cm, not more. So it sticks out some, but it does not look ugly in the dash. And then if you mean the depth from the frame to the screen, this is maybe .40 cm. I am just guessing, but it is not much. 

As long as you have the space for a 2-DIN, unit, I don't think it will look bad at all in the car.  My problem was that my dashboard bezel (the plastic part of the dash where the radio and clock and some instrument panels are) was not for a 2-DIN, even though there was space behind the bezel.  I had to hunt for months to find the right replacement bezel, but I did it and I am happy with the result.

Anyway, I hope I answered what you meant.

Offline galileofigaro

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 02:23:10 pm »
Oh, yes Thank you, now i need a KHD-CX910  ;)

Offline galileofigaro

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 06:57:58 pm »
With the Keg plus DNX-7200 is possible do searcher by Artist, title, disc, etc like in Ipod interface?

Por example, i want to listen Another Brick In the Wall.

Can i looking for artist + Disc + Song?

Pink Floyd + The Wall + Another Brick...

Thanks

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 02:48:11 pm »
It's actually been a while since I was in my car long enough to use my setup, but I believe if you are in Artist Mode you scroll through the artist to find Pink Floyd, then through the albums to find The Wall, and then you can cycle through the tracks to the one you want. This is quicker and safer when you learn to use the Voice Index On Tap, without taking your eyes off the road to the look at the screen.  While it is fairly easy to find songs directly in the iPod, I am not aware of an iPod car interface that replicates perfectly the iPod experience.  Using the Kenwood iPod interface, finding songs is a very painstaking procedure.