Author Topic: Trying to get a GM DMS to work with my kenwood headunit and software.  (Read 11226 times)

Offline oni

• A few posts under my belt.
Is there anyway to get a 40GB GM DMS work with my kenwood music keg software and headunit? My kenwood software does not see my dms hard drive. Is there anyway to see if the drive is bad? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Re: Trying to get a GM DMS to work with my kenwood headunit and software.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 02:25:27 pm »
If the hard drive is OK, it should be as simple as downloading the PhatHack DMS Tools (http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,2605.0.html), and following the instructions to format the DMS to use in your Kenwood.  Of course, if the drive is bad, that's not going to work. 

Was the DMS previously working in a GM system?  Has it ever worked when connected to a computer?

The Phatnoise software may not see the DMS, but does Windows recognize and mount the drive?  If so, what are the names and drive letters of the partitions?  Which version of Windows?

When you place the DMS in the USB cradle, what happens?  Does the green light on the cradle blink?  Is it a USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 cradle?  If it's USB 1.1, drivers are required, if you have not already installed them.

Alright, that's enough for a start.  Reply back here and we'll see what to do next.

Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline lamboz11

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 02:54:00 pm »
bought a 40gb dms, its a gm.  i have a kenwood headunit and kenwood music keg.  pmm recognized the dms no problems, loaded it up with music..

but after i put it in the car, its not being recognized...

any clues?

thanks

Offline lamboz11

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 07:07:30 pm »
ok, tried the ride again after a few hours

now it's recoginzed and it shows on the screen as an ext hard drive, and works but with different buttons on the screen

used to show up as a cd changer with discs, now its just playlists

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 09:01:05 am »
Did you follow the instructions in the second post?
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)