Author Topic: GMC DMS 40 gig  (Read 14799 times)

Offline oni

• A few posts under my belt.
GMC DMS 40 gig
« on: June 24, 2012, 04:35:01 pm »
I cannot get my Phatnoise music manager to see  this DMS. I used the DMS tools software and it did not help. I am running it on Windows 98 and it is hooked via usb 2.0 I can get my 10gig to work but not the 40 gig. Please help.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: GMC DMS 40 gig
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 01:00:47 pm »
Did the DMS tools manage to see the DMS?
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline oni

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 04:51:32 pm »
DMS tools did not see the DMS. I do not know what I am doing wrong!! Please help. Is there anyway to return the DMS back to factory defaults so my Kenwood music keg will work with it?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 02:48:59 am by oni »

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 12:58:10 pm »
Take a look in this thread, and follow the instructions for me to give me the log file I'm looking for.

http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,5144.0.html

You may be suffering from a similar problem, and it'll be good to establish if that's the case.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline oni

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 01:54:27 pm »
I have attached the log and I am running version 2.14 on Windows 98. My Cradle is a KHD-C710 and my head unit is a Kenwood 25th anniversary. I do not know if that will help you or not. My computer can see the DMS but not the program.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 02:12:57 pm by oni »

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 02:30:51 pm »
Quote from: oni
   Disk ID: 1
   Disk Name: PhatNois e DMS 40GB USB Disk
   PnP Device: USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_PHATNOIS&PROD_E_DMS_40GB&REV_0022\6488A0BBE3E2FFA4&0
   Disk Signature (not serial!): 13EE252A
   Drive Serial: 0

Partitions List
      ---------------

(Debugging: About to Query WMI for Logical Disks)

(Debugging: ..Query Complete)
      Partition: Disk #1, Partition #0
      Drive: E:
      Serial #: 4CE900C0

Partitions List
      ---------------

(Debugging: About to Query WMI for Logical Disks)

(Debugging: ..Query Complete)
      Partition: Disk #1, Partition #1
      Drive: F:
      Serial #: 4E0DE7B2

Device evaluation complete.
   Succeeded....enumerating devices....
      Device
         Checking device name for USB context...
         Not a USB labelled device.
      Device
         Evaluates to true!
         Also has drive letter!
      Device
         Evaluates to true!
         Also has drive letter!
   Device enumeration complete.

The tools are seeing the disk, but looking at the DMS creation process, for some reason the application has decided that you have no space on the disk to work with.  Which is odd.

Checking available disk space...
...which is: 000 Bytes.
Checking available disk space...
...which is: 000 Bytes.

Preparing format parameters....
PHTSYS Arguments: -v -n PHTSYS -F 32 E: 0
PHTDTA Arguments: -v -n PHTDTA -F 32 F: 0

If you look under Computer Management, can you see these two partitions, and do they look to have valid sizes?

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 02:32:35 pm »
By the way, if your Keg is not hacked -> DO NOT <- use computer management to delete the partitions and re-create them!!

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 02:40:00 pm »
Thinking a little bit further, I wonder if the problem is the time it's taking for WMI to initialize the new partitions... meaning that when the application checks for them, they exist but Windows hasn't yet established how big the new partitions are.

Of course, I'm asking here rhetorically as I wouldn't expect you to know the answer - but I've noticed the logs do not contain any useful information about the partition sizes it creates after wiping the disk, which would (in this case) be handy.  But, if after shutting down the application, and starting it again, it's still showing the partitions as 0 bytes - then this suggests something has failed either in the partition creation, or the application thinks that partitions it is creating really are 0 bytes (which may be some underlying problem with the disk)

Offline oni

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 03:39:23 pm »
My computer can see the disks fine but the Phatnoise music manager and Phathack DMS tools cannot. Disk manager can also see the DMS catridge.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 03:43:04 pm by oni »

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 08:48:57 am »
By the way.... is this really true ?

I am running it on Windows 98

Because if it is, I suspect this is more the problem.  I am surprised that the DMS tools work at all!  As far as I know, the .NET framework was never designed for Windows 9x, let alone anything to do with WMI (Window Management Instrumentation).

If you really ARE running Windows 9x, I would recommend you try on a Windows XP machine at the very least.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 08:50:58 am by VorTechS »

Offline oni

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 02:12:50 pm »
Does the same thing on Windows XP.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 02:38:16 pm »
Okay, that's fine.  To clarify the log you sent me is from Windows XP?

Are you able to run the application as 'administrator', and does that do anything different?

Offline oni

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 04:17:00 pm »
I ran the program on Windows 98 and XP and I get the same thing. I can see the DMS and cradle but the Phatnoise music software and the phatnoise hack software cannot see it. How do I run the program as admin? I am also running it on Parallel 7 is that makes a differences.