Author Topic: How to identify phatbox models with newer DAC  (Read 5913 times)

Offline Smee

How to identify phatbox models with newer DAC
« on: August 04, 2013, 03:24:31 pm »
Couldn't believe my luck finding you guys. Most of my home audio is on FLAC which I love. What a blast to find a system suitable for the car!

My quest is to find an Audi compatible new DAC version of Phatbox for my recently bought S8 2001 with RNS-D Navigation Plus.
I've done my due diligence and searched , but can only come up with one relevant thread. That thread states that the Kenwood KHD-CX910 has the newer hardware version using different DAC. There is another thread about compatability which I thought may have something useful in it, but the links are broken.

My question is how do we know which Phatbox models have old/new DAC?
I'm looking at new Phatbox on ebay that is model number 000057110 C. The case has finned heatsinks, as opposed to the roundish ones.
My guess is that this is the newer version, but "guess" is what it is.

Does anyone have any info at all regarding model numbers,  physical appearance and hardware version?

Offline Smee

Cirrus Logic in Kenwood Keg only?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 10:41:07 pm »
I'm begining to wonder if the change to Cirrus Logic DAC was only implemented in Kenwood Keg and not the PhatBox; KHD-C710 being earlier model with Burr-Brown and KHD-CX910 being later model with Cirrus logic.
Anyone had the cover off or got one to have a look inside?

Offline Smee

Re: How to identify phatbox models with newer DAC
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 11:15:26 pm »
I have an answer! In this thread rpm says that Audi/VW PhatBoxes have the improved DAC.

http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,6.0.html

Offline mdp

• A few posts under my belt.
Re: How to identify phatbox models with newer DAC
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 07:32:48 pm »
Hi there,

I can tell you in my S-4 2005 with rns-e was an phatbox with the round case working fine.
I bought an second one to be sure, this one was the one with the finned case that came with the latest version of pmm 2.35. They were bought vw/audi
So that is the newer one!
The new one sounded better that the old one.
I didn't look inside to look for a different DAC.
Go for the finned one

Grtz mdp
Phatbox 160 gb used in Audi, now running on Samsung 850 evo mSata 250 gb ssd in idee to mSata converter