Author Topic: Phatnoise 40 GB not being recognized by my KDC - C710 or Kenwood Excelon XXV-05  (Read 16699 times)

Offline oni

• A few posts under my belt.
I am not having any luck getting my 40 GB DMS recognized by my KDC - C710 or Kenwood Excelon XXV-05V head unit. All I get is the DMS loading displayed on my headunit and then it ejects it or just ignores the DMS. I tried using the log file and it showed my that the log did not work. I can get your phathack program to recognize and my phatnoise music manger to show the DMS but it will not work in my car. Can anyone help me with this problem. I am running your program on Windows XP and the DMS is from a G M vehicle. My original DMS works but it is only 10GB.  Can anyone help me with this problem?

Thanks,

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Hi there, I appreciate this is a little old now... but have you switched the DMS from running GM firmware, to the Kenwood firmware?
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline oni

I am not sure how to do that but I used the phathak software to change it. The phatnlise music manager see it but my head unit keeps ejecting it. Is there any software I can use to insure that it will work?

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Your best bet is to use the DMS tools, as it's quite possible that whilst we 'fixed' the PhatNoise software to be able to download and install firmware - it obviously isn't working correctly!

Grab the DMS tools here: http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,5127.0.html

Just remember, you won't need to 'reflash' the box.  So if that option is checked, uncheck it!
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline oni

I did use this program and it did format the drive and my Phatnoise music manager I can see the 40gb dms but my head unit cannot. I am running this program on windows Xperia could that be the proble?

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
I would try again, specifying that you want to create 'Repair DMS (full)'

- Specify the same firmware version as on your working DMS
- Ensure the option 'Install non-hacked firmware' is checked
- Ensure the option 'Reflash box' is unchecked

Make sure once this is done that you put some music on the DMS using your favourite software (Don't forget to save/eject!)

Try the DMS in the car.  If you are using a Kenwood stereo, you _may_ need to factory reset it to see the new DMS, or disconnect the Keg for a few minutes from the stereo and re-connect.  For some reasons the Kegs don't like swapping between DMS' occasionally.  Bizarre, but true.

Offline oni

Disconnect all the wires from the keg or just the power wire?

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Disconnect the single wire from the Keg.  There's only one, that I know of, unless you use the RCA jacks too!

Offline oni

I tried formatting the dms using the instruction that you gave me and it failed. I do not know what to do  >:(

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Failed?  As in the software told you the format failed?

Offline oni

It seems my pictures will not upload because they fail security checks.

Offline oni

The program tells me that it failed to format every time but the official Phatnoise software works fine and see the DMS. I will attach a few pictures to this message. One thing I notice is that my 10GB DMS has more firmware information and the 40GB has less information. I can copy songs to the DMS but I cannot get it to work with my head unit because it keeps ejecting it after a long loading sequence. Is there anyway to get official software for my DMS?

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
If the DMS Tools fails to format the disk, it's because the disk is being locked by some other software (Windows explorer, virus scanner etc) or you haven't successfully elevated the 'run' permissions under Windows.

The DMS tools must be run 'Elevated' (as administrator) so that it can access the DMS to modify the disk as is required.  There should be a shortcut for running the tools elevated on your start menu.

If this still results in the same problem, try rebooting your machine and make running the DMS tools the very first thing you do after rebooting.

Offline oni

How can identify which program could be locking it? I do have Internet Explorer functioning when I am use the DMS tools. Which version of Windows can the Phathack software run on?Is there anyway to floe my working DMS to my 40GB dmd? Some of the firmware information is different.

Thanks for the help

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
You are unlikely to be able to find which program has the drive locked, but simply use the DMS as the first application you run when you boot your PC and you may find things improve.
The DMS tools is confirmed to work with:

Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows 7

'Firmware information' being different, doesn't have any relevance to the drive being locked.  If the DMS tools cannot access the drive to perform the necessary functions, the drive may not be in the correct state.
Once you are able to run the DMS tools successfully, if things still aren't working there are things we can do to see if we can identify the problem.

Offline oni

I ran the DMS tools correctly but the 40GB DMS is still being ejected from my head unit. Now when I run my functioning 10GB DMS the official phatnoise software will not read it on Windows 8. Bot DMS have the same 13.01 firmware on them but one can be read by my head unit but not the phatnise software and the other one is the opposite. Can you send me detail step by on how to fix this problem?

Thank you

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
We need to establish why it is the DMS is not booting.

On the DMS tools there are options to install Verbose Logging (aka the RC pairs), and the boot checking.
You need to install these, and then you should find a boot log file and a debugging file that we can scan through.

Unfortunately, I don't have the software here to give you direct instructions - but will try and dig them out for you later/tomorrow!

Offline oni

Were you able to find the instructions?

Offline oni

I tried to use the log program and it keeps telling me I do not have a log file to display. I put the DMS into my music keg and my head unit ejects the DMS and I do not get a Log file. How do I fix this?